Key word: material
1 Verb + material (thing)
Use the correct form of these verbs:
contain made from
- Not many people realise that the Romans were the first to __________ concrete as a building material.
- We can assure our customers that all our products are __________ natural materials.
- I think it would be wrong to allow scientists to __________ human genetic material in order to produce the ‘perfect’ human being.
- The outer material of the garment has been __________ with wax to make it waterproof.
- One aim of the Green movement is to encourage people to __________ more of their waste materials.
- A lot of older buildings __________ harmful materials such as asbestos.
2 Common adjective collocations
Complete the sentences with these adjectives:
- My country has few natural resources and has to import most of its_________ materials.
- Highly__________ materials like petrol have to be handled with great care.
- Seat covers on trains and buses take a lot of wear and tear so they need to be made from strong, __________ materials.
- Our products are environmentally-friendly. We package all of them in __________ materials.
- Most __________ materials can be put in a washing machine. Unlike many natural fabrics they don’t shrink when washed.
- Diamonds are one of the__________ materials known to man.
- The transport of__________ materials is still one of the biggest problems for the power industry.
- __________ materials should be recycled whenever possible.
3 Material (ideas / information)
Complete the sentences below with these words:
reading indecent classified publicity
- All sorts of__________ materials are being used to promote the latest video -TV ads, videos, posters and leaflets.
- These documents relating to the last war won’t be available to the public for 50 years as they contain __________ material.
- I’ve listed some useful__________ material at the end of the handout.
- Employees caught downloading __________ material from the internet will be sacked immediately.
valuable fresh copyright relevant
- I’m afraid this is__________ material. You’re not allowed to copy more than 10% of it and only for private use.
- The band can’t go on playing the same old songs year after year. It’s time they produced some __________ new material.
- Professor Smith travelled the world gathering __________ material for his book.
- When I was researching my family tree, I found a lot of __________ material in the public library.
1. In 3-4‘obscene’ is also possible.
2. Note the following:
He’s a good soldier but I don’t think he is officer material. (not good enough to be an officer)
3. We talk about building, reading, teaching and writing materials:
There were bricks, cement and other building materials scattered all over the site.
There is always a shortage of teaching materials in this school.
You’ll find some paper and writing materials over there on the desk.
4. Notice this expression using noun + of + material:
Samples of the material were sent for analysis.
5. Remember that ‘material’ can be used as a general term to mean ‘things’. It also has a specific meaning when it means ‘cloth’:
Her coat was made of very expensive material.
Also check : IELTS Vocabulary
- use 2. made from 3. modify 4. treated 5. recycle 6. contain
- raw 2. inflammable 3. hard-wearing 4. recyclable
- synthetic 6. hardest 7. radioactive 8. Waste
- publicity 2. classified 3. reading 4. indecent
- copyright 6. fresh 7. valuable 8. relevant