Improve your Vocabulary for IELTS – Collocation of Opinion
Key word: opinion
1 Verb + opinion
Use the correct form of these verbs:
influence respect form give
- Could you read this essay and ____________ me your opinion on it before I hand it in to my tutor?
- I always value our teacher’s opinion. He’s a man whose opinion I ____________ .
- What do you think of this new government? => It’s too early to say. I haven’t really ____________ an opinion yet.
- There can be no doubt that television and newspapers do____________ public opinion.
express ask revise share
- The fact that he passed the exam has made me ____________ my original opinion of him. He’s obviously more intelligent than I thought he was.
- Would anyone like to____________ an opinion on this matter?
- I know what you think, but do the other members of the team____________ your opinion?
- If you ____________ my opinion, there’s a danger I’ll disagree with you – so it’s better not to ask!
2 Noun + of + opinion
Match the two halves of these situations:
- Their marriage is almost at an end. Over the years
- Zidane is the greatest footballer the world has ever seen.
- The government needs to find out what the
- Most people are fed up with the congestion and pollution that traffic brings.
- Over the last twenty years there has been a distinct
a A substantial body of opinion supports the idea of banning all cars from the city centre.
b That’s a matter of opinion. I think Pele was a better player.
c shift in opinion on the issue of abortion. More and more people seem to approve of it these days.
d irreconcilable differences of opinion have developed between them. They can’t seem to agree on anything.
e current climate of opinion is before it makes any changes to the tax on fuel. It’s important that they know what people generally think.
3 Adjective + opinion
Use the following adjectives in the sentences:
honest popular second strong
- Many people have very____________ opinions on capital punishment. My father, for example, thinks that all murderers should be executed.
- The article accurately reflects____________ opinion. It’s what the majority of people think.
- I’m grateful for his advice, but I really need to get a ____________ opinion before I make a final decision. I don’t want to do something that I might regret.
- OK, if you want my ____________ opinion, I think the dress looks awful. It just doesn’t suit you.
considered high personal expert
- I have a very ____________ opinion of Mark’s abilities as an actor, but a very low opinion of him as a father. He hardly saw his children as they grew up.
- Prime Minister, we have discussed the present crisis in depth and it is our ____________ opinion that for the good of the country you should resign.
- ____________ opinion is divided on the issue of how to treat this condition. Some doctors would operate; others favour drugs.
- My ____________ opinion doesn’t really matter here. We need to decide for the good of everyone.
1. If someone thinks too highly of themselves, we say: He’s got too high an opinion of himself.
2. Note these expressions:
The general opinion is that the new traffic scheme is a good thing.
The doctor was of the opinion that an operation was not necessary.
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion!
Opinion is deeply divided on this issue. I can see little hope of reaching any sort of agreement.
3. Note this very common expression:
In my opinion, interest rates are going to go up.
4. Newspapers often carry out ‘opinion polls’ to find out the opinions of lots of people on the popularity of political parties.
l give 2. respect 3.formed 4. influence 5. revise
6 express 7. share 8. ask
l-d 2-b 3-e 4-a 5-c
1 strong 2. popular 3. second 4. honest
5 high 6. considered 7. Expert 8. personal
Also check :
- IELTS Vocabulary books
- IELTS Grammar
- IELTS Vocabulary
- IELTS Listening words
- Sports Vocabulary IELTS
- English Pronunciation in use Intermediate pdf
- Work Vocabulary IELTS
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS