Key word: place
1 Verb + place
Use the correct form of these verbs:
earn change find look for
mark take save hold
- Sorry, we’re late. It took us ages to ____________ a parking place.
- I’m fed up living with my parents, so I’m ____________ a place of my own.
- It’s quite common for people to ____________ their place in a book they’re reading by turning down the corner of a page.
- Come and sit here beside us. We’ve ____________ a place for you.
- If you want to ____________ a place in this team, you’ll have to prove you’re worth it!
- Would you like to ____________ places with me so that you can sit beside your husband?
- Ataturk____________ a very important place in the minds of all Turks.
- Last-minute talks are ____________ place in an attempt to avert a strike by workers on the underground.
Notice the different meaning of ‘place’ in no 8. What does ‘place’ mean in these sentences?
a Please state your place of birth.
b Let’s take our places round the table.
c It’s not my place to remind you of your duty.
d I’ve just heard I’ve got a place at Oxford.
e We had lunch at a very nice place in the centre.
f Van Nistelroy has lost his place in the team.
2 Verbal expressions
Now complete the sentences below with these phrasal verbs:
get the feel of turn into
come round to get out of
- I’ll____________ your place about nine if that’s OK with you.
- We were only in Bristol for one night, so we didn’t really____________ the place.
- Let’s ____________ this place! The food and the music are awful.
- Those chairs blocking the fire exits could easily ____________ this place____________ a death trap.
3 Common adjective collocations
Use the following adjectives in these sentences:
quiet conceivable decent public
right safe uninviting unlikely
- I was very lucky to get this job. I just happened to be in the____________ place at the right time.
- I’ve looked in every____________ place for my wallet, but I can’t find it anywhere.
- Remember to put your passport in a ____________ place.
- This is a very____________ place during the winter months, but the place is really busy in July.
- The organisation ASH have mounted a campaign to ban smoking in all ____________ places.
- You find things in the most ____________ places. For example, I found my shoe in the fridge the other day. It must have been my two-year-old!
- Is there a____________ place to eat round here?
- The hotel was cold, empty and damp. It was a most ____________ place!
4 Place + of + noun
Use these nouns to complete the sentences:
birth interest safety work worship
- Stonehenge is a place of great historical ____________
- A place of ____________ is a building used for religious services, such as a church, temple or mosque.
- Migrating birds return every year to their place of ____________ to lay their eggs.
- The hostel for battered wives offers a place of ____________ and refuge for women who are assaulted by men.
- In an emergency the hospital may need to contact you at your place of __________.
1. Note the following expressions:
Ely is a great place for a day out.
This is no place to bring up children.
There was rubbish all over the place.
2. A way of talking about your home is ‘my place’:
Shall we go back to your place or mine?
- find 2. looking for 3. mark 4. saved 5. earn 6. change 7. holds 8. taking
а country, town etc
d opportunity to study
f position as part of a team
- come round to 2. get the feel of 3. get out of 4. turn … into
1 right 2. conceivable 3. safe 4. quiet 5. public
6 unlikely 7. decent 8. uninviting
- interest 2. worship 3. birth 4. safety 5. work
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by IELTS Editor (see all)
- Improve Your Vocabulary in IELTS Speaking & Writing – Key Word: Thing - April 1, 2018
- Boost Your Lexical Resource – Key Word: Rule - March 26, 2018
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: promise - November 20, 2017