1 Verb + space
Use the correct form of these verbs:
make provide save take up
- I think we can ____________ a bit of space if we get rid of some of these books.
- Can we ____________ space for an extra chair so that John can join us?
- We’ll need to get rid of that old desk. It’s ____________ too much space.
- Print your name and address clearly in the space ____________ .
clear stare into find make use of
- I think we can____________ better____________ the space if we shift this desk over to the window.
- She just ignored everyone. She just sat there ____________ space.
- I couldn’t____________ a space in the car park big enough for my 4 x 4.
- We need to____________ some space in our spare room. We’ve got people coming to stay.
2 Common adjective collocations
Complete the sentences with these adjectives:
blank confined extra storage
- Now that the children have left home, we’ve got a lot of ____________ space.
- There’s a____________ space at the bottom of the form for you to sign your name.
- It’s cruel to keep animals in such a ____________ space. They should be in much larger enclosures where they can roam free.
- There’s a lot of ____________ space up in the loft so we can put your suitcases up there.
advertising enclosed open narrow
- Do not use this substance in an ____________ space. Make sure all doors and windows are open when working with it.
- I eventually found a place to park but it was such a ____________ space that I had difficulty getting my car into it. It was very tight!
- Paris is a city with fine buildings and plenty of____________ spaces. It is a great place for a holiday.
- We financed our student magazine by selling____________ space.
3 Noun + of + space
Complete the sentences with these nouns:
amount sense shortage plenty
- It’s a big car with a generous ____________ of space inside.
- The light colours and the big windows give the room a real ____________ of space.
- No, you don’t need to move. I’ve got ____________ of space.
- There’s a____________ of office space in the centre of town at the moment, but there are plans to build a new block.
1. Note this way of creating space:
We moved the furniture around to create more space.
2. Note the following uses:
After working all morning without a break, I need a breathing space before starting the next job.
I left the party because I needed space to think things through.
3. Note these time expressions:
It was a lot to absorb in a short space of time.
In the space of 24 hours, I had flown halfway round the world to Australia.
4. Outer space is outside the Earth’s atmosphere.
Wasn’t Gagarin the first man in space?
5. Note these different kinds of space:
parking spaces floor space working space
living space wall space shelf space
6. People talk about their ‘personal space’:
Our office is very crowded. I need more personal space.
Ex 1: l. save 2. make 3. taking up 4. provided 5. make better use of 6. staring into 7. find 8. clear
Ex 2: 1. extra 2. blank 3. confined 4. storage 5. enclosed 6. narrow 7. open 8. advertising
Ex 3: 1. amount 2. sense 3. plenty 4. shortage
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by IELTS Editor (see all)
- Improve Your Vocabulary in IELTS Speaking & Writing – Key Word: Thing - April 1, 2018
- Boost Your Lexical Resource – Key Word: Rule - March 26, 2018
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: promise - November 20, 2017