1 Verb + standard
Use the correct form of these verbs:
fall maintain raise
enjoy reach set
- Our job is not just to ___________ standards – our job is to make sure they improve!
- He failed to___________ the required standard, and did not qualify for the race.
- Do you think that reducing class sizes would ___________ standards in our primary schools?
- It’s hard for others to come up to the standards our head of department ___________ for herself.
- The standard of service has___________ steadily since the company was taken over a year ago. It’s now so bad, something will have to be done.
- Today most people in this country___________ a standard of living which their parents could only dream about.
2 Common adjective collocations
Complete the sentences with these adjectives:
- My boss demands extremely ___________standards from the people that work for him. In fact some people think he is unrealistic.
- I was disappointed when I took some friends to my favourite restaurant and neither the food nor the service were up to the___________ standard.
- Not everyone judges success by the ___________ standards. Unlike you, I think that happiness is more important than the size of your car.
- Parents are always complaining about ___________ standards in schools.
- A number of Britain’s beaches fail to meet the ___________ standards laid down by the EU.
- This special mark shows that the product conforms to an ___________industry standard.
- We decided that it would be our first and last trip to the island. The hotels and restaurants were all of a very___________ standard.
- By ___________ standards, the plumbing in our hotel was totally inadequate!
3 Standard + of + noun
Complete the sentences below with these nouns:
behaviour care hygiene
singing living workmanship
- Some countries simply don’t provide proper standards of ___________ for the elderly.
- Inspectors criticised the kitchen staff for poor standards of ___________ .
- I had my windows replaced, but I’m not very pleased with the standard of __________ .
- There’s been a progressive increase in the standard of ___________ over the last five years. People are now much better off.
- The school insists on strict standards of ___________ on school trips.
- Although it was an amateur production, the standard of___________ was excellent.
4 Expressions with prepositions
Use these prepositions in the sentences:
of to up below by in
- The work has been done___________ a professional standard.
- Students will be sent home if their behaviour falls__________________ an acceptable standard.
- The first computers were very slow ___________ today’s standards.
- Universities deny that there has been a decline ___________ academic standards.
- The report is highly critical ___________ safety standards at the factory.
- The teacher said that my essay was not ___________ to standard and that I would have to do it again.
1. In 2-8 you can also say ‘by today’s standards’:
By today’s standards, Shakespeare was a rich man.
2. Note the use of safety standards and moral standards:
The airline’s maintenance programme did not conform to the high safety standards set by the industry.
The Minister did not live up to the high moral standards expected of him.
3. If someone has ‘double standards’, they are guilty of condemning something, while doing it themselves.
Ex 1: 1. maintain 2. reach 3. raise 4. sets 5. fallen 6. enjoy
Ex 2: l. high 2. usual 3. same 4.falling 5. minimum 6. approved 7. low 8. modern
Ex 3: l. care 2. hygiene 3. workmanship 4. living 5. behaviour 6. singing
Ex 4: 1. to 2. below 3. by 4. in 5. of 6. up
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!