an act of
Act of + noun
Complete the sentences with these nouns:
- The hijackers released two elderly hostages as an act of ___________. Both had serious heart conditions and needed urgent medical attention.
- The gift of his whole art collection to the nation was an act of incredible ___________.
- Police believe that the murder of two policemen last night was an act of ___________for the shooting of two gangsters in the recent bank robbery.
- The attacks of September 11th were the worst acts of ___________ ever committed on American soil.
- Colonel Briggs was found guilty of selling information to the enemy. The punishment for such an act of ___________ could only be execution by firing squad.
- I’m not sure that your project has much chance of succeeding, but as an act of ___________ will lend you the money you require to get started.
- In order to escape from the hunters, the tiger leapt from a 100-metre cliff into the river below. It was an act of sheer ___________ .
- We’re insured against things like fire, burglary, earthquakes or what insurance companies call an act of ___________ !
1 mercy 2. generosity 3. revenge 4. terrorism
5 treason 6. faith 7. desperation 8. God
Also check : IELTS Vocabulary