an act of
Act of + noun
Complete the sentences with these nouns:
- The hijackers released two elderly hostages as an act of ___________. Both had serious heart conditions and needed urgent medical attention.
- The gift of his whole art collection to the nation was an act of incredible ___________.
- Police believe that the murder of two policemen last night was an act of ___________for the shooting of two gangsters in the recent bank robbery.
- The attacks of September 11th were the worst acts of ___________ ever committed on American soil.
- Colonel Briggs was found guilty of selling information to the enemy. The punishment for such an act of ___________ could only be execution by firing squad.
- I’m not sure that your project has much chance of succeeding, but as an act of ___________ will lend you the money you require to get started.
- In order to escape from the hunters, the tiger leapt from a 100-metre cliff into the river below. It was an act of sheer ___________ .
- We’re insured against things like fire, burglary, earthquakes or what insurance companies call an act of ___________ !
1 mercy 2. generosity 3. revenge 4. terrorism
5 treason 6. faith 7. desperation 8. God
Latest posts by IELTS Editor (see all)
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- Improve Your Vocabulary in IELTS Speaking & Writing – Key Word: Thing - April 1, 2018
- Boost Your Lexical Resource – Key Word: Rule - March 26, 2018
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!