Improve your Vocabulary to Boost your IELTS Score-Key Word:Reason
- Use the correct form of these verbs:
- Mel and Frank______every reason to be unhappy. He lost his job last year and now she’s been told she might lose hers!
- I______no reason for us to depart from our usual practices in this hospital. We will treat the Prime Minister just like any other patient.
- I could______you any number of reasons for not going to Elizabeth’s party. But just tell her that I’m not feeling very well.
- I’d like to______the reason why you’re so late.
- He died suddenly at the age of 21 and the doctors are at a loss to______the reason for his sudden death. A second autopsy will have to be held.
- I don’t______the reason why computers can’t repair themselves. I would have thought someone could write a program.
Go back and underline the verb collocations.
Common Adjective Collocations
2. Use the following adjectives in these sentences :
- Our son isn’t going to university for the______reason that he can’t afford it. And neither can we.
- Why do you want to know her name? > Oh, no______reason. I was just wondering.
- She kept all her late husband’s letters and diaries for______reasons. They reminded her of all the good times that they had together.
- Do you have a______reason for being absent from work or did you just take a day off?
- For no______reason, the man opposite me in the train suddenly got up and started screaming and shouting. I think he must have been ill.
- The Guardian may be left-wing, but that’s not why I buy it. The______reason I read it is because it reports places that other papers don’t.
3. Complete the sentences with these words:
- The wonderful weather in the winter is our main reason______choosing to live in Portugal.
- There’s no earthly reason______you should feel guilty. The accident had nothing to do with you.
- There’s no reason______be concerned. He has a temperature, but he’ll be fine in the morning.
- There’s no rhyme or reason______her behaviour. One day she’s nice, the next she’s really nasty.
- I expect there’s some good reason______them not turning up. I’m sure they’ll phone.
- There’s no reason______we shouldn’t win. We have the best players and they’re on top form.
- Sue had every reason______be angry. Jerry shouldn’t have taken her car without her permission.
1.When you can’t explain something, you can use these expressions:
2.Note these types of reason:
3.Note the following expressions:
Ex 1 :
Ex 2 :
Ex 3 :
Also check :