Key word: matter
1 Verb + matter
Use the correct form of these verbs:
be discuss get
look into bring settle
- Have you__________ this matter with anyone else?
- This kind of damage to the environment should__________ a matter of concern to us all.
- We took the matter up with the manager and he promised to__________ it.
- I said I’m sorry, so why can’t you let the matter drop? => Okay. I promise not to__________ the matter up again.
- Let’s__________ this matter once and for all. We’ve been trying to resolve it for months now.
- We’ve no time to deal with that just now, so let’s __________ on with the matter in hand and try to finish what we’ve started.
2 Common adjective collocations
Complete the sentences with these adjectives:
easy urgent delicate different
serious trivial complex personal
- Look, this is a rather__________ matter. Wendy can’t afford to go on the trip and I’d like to offer to pay for her, but I’m worried that she might be offended.
- It might seem funny to you, but setting fire to a wastepaper bin is no laughing matter – it is a very __________ matter indeed!
- I don’t mind bees, wasps, flies and things like that, but spiders are a__________ matter entirely!
- OK, have it your way. The colour of the paper is such a __________ matter that it’s not worth fighting about.
- Please try to find him. There is an extremely __________ matter I need to talk to him about. Tell him that it can’t wait till tomorrow.
- Excuse me, Mr Thompson, could I talk to you in private? It’s a __________ matter.
- It should have been a simple matter, but getting through to the helpline was no__________ matter!
- Collocation can be a very__________ matter!
3 Noun + of + matter
Match the two halves of the following:
- He denies any knowledge of the matter.
- A holiday would be wonderful,
- We need to get to
- This is by no means the end of the matter –
a but the fact of the matter is that we can’t afford one.
b I won’t give up the fight that easily.
c He says he wasn’t involved.
d the heart of the matter before we can help.
4 On the matter
Complete the sentences with the following:
advice discussion light
- My bag is missing and I was hoping you might be able to shed some__________ on the matter.
- Of course I’ll take__________ on this matter, but I already know what I’m going to do.
- When asked about his reasons for resigning, he had __________ to say on the matter.
- You can’t go to the concert. And that’s my last __________ on the matter. Don’t bring the subject up again! You’re too young.
- You won’t get anywhere, I’m afraid. They refuse to enter into any __________ on the matter.
1. Note this common question:
What’s the matter? You look like you’ve seen a ghost!
2. Note this common expression:
Well, if there’s no choice in the matter, I suppose I’ll have to go to the meeting.
3. Note these expressions using matter + of + noun:
Can’t we do this tomorrow? It’s hardly a matter of life or death, is it?
Safety standards in the industry have been a matter of concern for many years.
Which is the best cheese? It’s a matter of personal taste.
It can only be a matter of time before war breaks out.
4. One way of disagreeing with someone is to say:
Well, I think it’s a matter of opinion.
5. Notice this expression:
Don’t get involved, Clare. This is a family matter.
- discussed 2. be 3. look into 4. bring 5. settle 6. get
- delicate 2. serious 3. different 4. trivial 5. urgent 6. personal 7. easy 8. complex
l-c 2-a 3-d 4-b
- light 2. advice 3. nothing 4. word 5. discussion
Latest posts by IELTS Editor (see all)
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- Improve Your Vocabulary in IELTS Speaking & Writing – Key Word: Thing - April 1, 2018
- Boost Your Lexical Resource – Key Word: Rule - March 26, 2018
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!