Increase Your IELTS Vocabulary Score-Collocation of Mistake
Limited-Time Offer : Access a FREE 10-Day IELTS Study Plan!
- Use the correct form of these verbs:
- Making mistakes is an important part of learning a language. If you don’t make mistakes, you don’t ______from them.
- I think if you can admit that you’ve______a mistake, it is a sign of strength, not weakness.
- When I got home, I found out that I had been calling my girlfriend’s father by the wrong name. I felt such a fool when I______my mistake.
- Like many people, I find it difficult to avoid______past mistakes. Why do we make the same mistakes over and over again?
- Read through your work carefully and______any mistakes that you find.
- If you______some people’s mistakes to them, they get very defensive. I don’t know why!
Common Adjective Collocations
2. Complete the sentences below with the following:
- The most______mistake people make is to water their plants too much.
- It was a perfectly______mistake to make. I assumed Jane and Morgan were married, too!
- The skaters made the______mistake of assuming that the ice was thick enough to take their weight. Unfortunately, there was a thaw on. The ice gave way and they drowned.
- I should have scored 100% in the examination, but I made one______mistake.
- I can accept that anybody makes the______mistake. We all do, but if it becomes a habit then you’re in trouble.
- Going to the football match when he should have been at work proved to be a very______mistake for Jeff. He was sacked.
- When he removed the wrong kidney from the patient, the surgeon made a ______mistake.
- I’m sorry, sir, but a______mistake has been made. We will do our best to find you a double room immediately.
3. Use these verbs to complete the expressions:
- ____________ to accept responsibility for
- ____________ the blame for
- ____________ profusely for
- ____________ over your work for
Now use these complete expressions below, using the correct form of the verbs:
- He thought I was the secretary and not the manager because I was a woman, but he______his mistake when I introduced myself. You should have seen his face!
- Nobody should have to______other people’s mistakes.
- It’s always a good idea to______mistakes before you hand it in.
- Five hundred pounds has gone missing from my bank account, but the bank______the mistake.
1.Note these expressions:
2. Note the useful expression ‘It’s a mistake to think that…:
3.‘By mistake’ means accidentally:
4. Note these expressions with ‘make a mistake’.
- point out
- apologised profusely for
- take the blame for
- check over your work for
- refuses to accept responsibility for
Also check :