Increase Your IELTS Vocabulary Score – Collocation of Responsibility
Use the correct form of these verbs:
- As a security officer, I ______ the responsibility for ensuring that nothing is stolen from the office.
- The club does not______ responsibility for loss of or damage to club members’ personal property.
- No terrorist organisation has yet ______ responsibility for this latest bomb outrage.
- The problem is out of my hands now that Derek Winton has ______ responsibility for the business. He took over full responsibility for the running of the firm last week.
- The rail company are trying to evade responsibility for the disaster. I don’t know how they can possibly ______ responsibility for an accident which involved their trains.
- We must be clear about where the responsibility ______. Personally, I think the responsibility for the present crisis rests squarely on the government.
2. Common Adjective Collocations
Use the following adjectives in these sentences:
- Being the captain of the team is a ______ responsibility. A lot rests on your shoulders. I think it takes a special kind of person to deal with such a heavy responsibility.
- I’m only in charge of the lower school. The person with ______ responsibility for the whole school is the headmaster.
- I don’t feel ready to take on new or ______ responsibilities at the moment.
- I think that working parents should take ______ responsibility for their children’s upbringing and education. They need to share the responsibility.
- I won’t try to make any excuses. I accept responsibility for my mistake.
- The accused pleaded not guilty on the grounds of ______ responsibility. He claimed that he had been under a lot of stress at the time of the crime.
Complete the sentences below with these nouns:
- The job is a demanding one, involving a wide ______ of responsibilities.
- For a person in a ______ of such responsibility, the managing director’s conduct at the meeting was unacceptable.
- We hope that their visit to the retirement home will instill in the children a ______ of responsibility towards the elderly in the community.
- I’m afraid you’re complaining to the wrong person. This matter is outside my ______ of responsibility.
- There had been a complete ______ of responsibility in the ferry company. Nobody will accept any responsibility for the disaster in which 350 people lost their lives.
- A key factor in managing a successful business is the ______ of responsibility.
1. In 1-3 ‘admitted’ is also possible.
2. Note the expression ‘sole responsibility’:
3. Note the following ways of accepting responsibility:
4. We talk of legal, social, and moral responsibilities.
5. Note how we use responsibility to talk about duties: