Study in Canada without IELTS
Canada has become the dream destination for students across the world. It has a large number of Universities with some of its Universities continuously ranking among top 100.
But, students who are non-native speakers of English find it difficult to qualify in English language proficiency tests which is critical in procuring a visa. The good news is that Canada is flexible. Yes, it has a variety of options for students to prove their English proficiency and does not depend only on IELTS.
Can I go to Canada without IELTS?
Yes, you can. But you will have to show proof of your English proficiency.
How to procure a Canada study visa without IELTS?
Canada offers many alternatives to IELTS. So it is easy to procure a Canada student visa without IELTS.
The various alternatives are :
- If not IELTS, the following tests serve as proof of English proficiency:
|Name of the test||What does it stand for?|
|TOEFL||Test of English as a foreign language|
|CanTest||Canadian test of English for Scholars and Trainees|
|CAEL||Canadian Academic English language|
|PTE||Pearson English language test|
|ELP||English Language Program|
- Pathway programs:
Pathway programs are designed for international students who want to study abroad. They have to take English as a second language (ESL) course along with their courses that will count as credits toward their degree. These programs are for a period of 1 year to 15 months. Students who complete the program with good English language scores and GPA will be taken into the affiliate school.
- English proficiency letter:
This letter should be issued from the institute where you have completed your studies with English as medium of instruction. This is a valid proof.
- Exemption based on Nationalities:
Certain Nationalities are exempted from English proficiency tests.
- Natives of English speaking countries are exempted from English language proficiency tests.
- If proof is produced for having studied in an English medium school for the last four years, then he/she is exempted from IELTS.
- If the candidate has attended the university’s language school for a semester or for a year, he/she is exempted from IELTS.
How to gain Canada PR without IELTS?
Those who wish to apply for citizenship between the ages of 18-54 must provide proof of their knowledge of one of Canada’s official languages along with application submission. The minimum language abilities to be met are:
- Ability to take part in day-to-day conversations
- Ability to use basic grammar, simple structures and tenses while communicating
- Ability to use appropriate vocabulary.
You must show proof of your listening and speaking skills only. Writing skills are not required. The following are considered as valid proofs:
- Results of IRCC approved third-party language test, showing CLB (Canadian Language Benchmarks) level 4 or higher in listening and speaking.
- Diploma or transcripts serving as proof of secondary or post-secondary education in English in Canada or abroad
- Results from a government-funded language course showing CLB 4 or higher
Is IELTS required for Canada Universities?
No, not all of them demand IELTS. Given below are the Universities and colleges in Canada without IELTS requirements:
- University of Winnipeg
- Brock University
- University of Saskatchewan
- Memorial University of Newfoundland and Labrador
- Cambrian College
- Concordia University
- University of Regina
- Carleton University
- Seneca College, Toronto
- Okanagan College
Also Check: Study in Canada with IELTS