an amount of
1 A large amount of
Use the correct form of these verbs:
cost do drink make
get through need spend store
- When the temperature reached 40, we were sweating profusely. We ___________ huge amounts of water to replace lost fluids.
- Sorry, I can’t make the party tonight. I’ve got an enormous / a massive amount of work to ___________ .
- A huge amount of information can be ___________ on a computer’s hard disk.
- Mary ___________ an inordinate amount of time in the bathroom in the morning.
- The new house ___________ a substantial amount of work done to it before we can think about moving into it.
- We ___________ an unbelievable amount of food each week. We’ll need to cut down. We simply can’t afford it.
- Their wedding ___________ an incredible amount of money. No expense was spared.
- The students above me were ___________ a tremendous amount of noise last night.
2 Common adjective collocations
Use the following adjectives in these sentences:
- ___________ amounts of alcohol can damage your liver.
- The ___________ amount of pocket money which teenagers get is around £15 per week.
- It’s a big car with a___________ amount of space in the back.
- Land mines are designed to cause the ___________ amount of harm to anybody who stands on them.
- The ___________ amount of money raised so far for the charity is approaching one million pounds.
- We only have a ___________ amount of time to complete this task – we can’t continue indefinitely. So let’s get a move on!
Ex 1: 1. drank 2. do 3. stored 4. spends 5. needs 6. get through 7. cost 8. making
Ex 2: 1. Excessive 2. average 3. generous 4. maximum 5. total 6. limited
Also check : IELTS Vocabulary