1 Verb + story
Use the correct form of these verbs:
make up read
sell stick to
- He says he was at home at the time of the crime. We’ll need to _____________ his story. See if you can find someone who can back it up.
- Your mother will never _____________ that story about you missing the last bus. Just tell her the truth!
- No, I didn’t _____________ the story_____________ I’ve told you the whole thing is true!
- When mum and dad ask us how the window was broken we must all_____________ the same story if we want them to believe us!
- In my opinion, criminals should not be allowed to make a fortune by _____________ their stories to the newspapers.
- Did your parents _____________ you stories before you went to bed?
2 Common adjective collocations
Complete the sentences with these adjectives:
gripping same old
- That TV series about a doctor working in Africa in the 1920’s is based on a_____________ story.
- I don’t think that we’ve heard the_____________ story of the Prime Minister’s resignation yet. I think there’s a lot more to come.
- He said he found the video recorder under a tree! That’s a _____________ story! How can he expect anybody to believe that!
- It was such a _____________ story that the children wouldn’t leave until they had heard how it ended.
- I’ll tell you about my childhood some other time. It’s a long and _____________ story and I don’t have time to go into it all just now.
- It’s the_____________ story wherever you go – the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. The world doesn’t change.
Go back and underline all the useful collocations in exercises 1 and 2.
3 Noun + of + story
Complete the sentences below with these nouns:
moral part point side
- I couldn’t make much sense of the story. In fact, I couldn’t see the_____________ of it at all.
- We’ve all read about it in the papers, but before we make any judgements I think we should hear his_____________ of the story first.
- The main lesson or _____________ of the story is that crime doesn’t pay.
- Some crucial facts have been missed out. We’ve only heard _____________ of the story!
4 Noun + noun collocations
Complete the sentences below with the following nouns and noun phrases:
cock-and-bull hard-luck success
rags-to-riches love real-life
- Lots of companies have gone out of business during the recession. The Green Shoe company is a rare_____________ story.
- I can always tell when Pete is lying. He gave me some _____________ story about helping a friend decorate his living room – a highly unlikely story! Pete has never used a paint brush in his life!
- The beggar told me some _____________ story about being cheated out of his inheritance.
- The film was based on the _____________ story of General Patton.
- He was brought up in poverty in a Glasgow slum, but through hard work and a bit of luck he became the millionaire owner of a huge supermarket chain. It’s a classic _____________ story.
- Why do all _____________ stories have happy endings?
1. A story is also a report in a newspaper:
The Times has a story about that bribery scandal.
2. If we say that something is ‘only a story’, we mean that it is not true.
3. We say ‘to cut a long story short’ when we don’t want to go into details.
4. We talk about detective, horror, ghost and love stories.
Ex 1: 1. check 2. believe 3. make the story up 4. stick to 5. selling 6. read
Ex 2: l. true 2. full 3. likely 4. gripping 5. complicated 6. same old
Ex 3: 1. point 2. side 3. moral 4. part
Ex 4: 1. success 2. cock-and-bull 3. hard-luck 4. real- life 5. rags-to-riches 6. love
Latest posts by IELTS Editor (see all)
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- Improve Your Vocabulary in IELTS Speaking & Writing – Key Word: Thing - April 1, 2018
- Boost Your Lexical Resource – Key Word: Rule - March 26, 2018
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!