Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: a sign of
a sign of
1 Verb + sign of
Use the correct form of these verbs:
find see show
- The tyres on my car are beginning to _____________ signs of wear. I’ll need to replace them soon.
- We must stick to our original plan. Any change of policy will be _____________as a sign of weakness.
- The detectives searched the house from top to bottom, but they _____________ no sign of the stolen goods.
2 (Be) a sign of
Match the two halves of these sentences:
- A fall in unemployment is one sign of
- Spelling words incorrectly is a common sign of
- A heavy, dark sky is a sign of
- Admitting you’ve made a mistake is a sign of
- Sore muscles and a headache are usually the first signs of
- People say that being a good pool player is usually a sign of
b strength, not weakness.
c a growing economy.
e a misspent youth!
f the flu.
3 Sign of + noun
Complete the sentences with these words:
having improvement trouble
times giving in emotion
- She’s such a cold fish. I have rarely seen her display any sign of _____________ .
- At last, her work is showing some signs of _____________.
- The police have shown no signs of_____________ to the kidnappers’ demands.
- I’m afraid she’s showing the first signs of _____________ the disease. We’ll need to start treatment.
- Make sure you call the police at the first sign of _____________ .
- Rising crime is just a sign of the _____________ !
Ex 1: l. show 2.seen 3.found
Ex 2: l-c 2-d 3-a 4-b 5-f 6-e
Ex 3: 1. emotion 2. improvement 3. giving in 4. having 5. trouble 6. times
Also check :
- Best IELTS Vocabulary books
- Grammar for IELTS
- IELTS Vocabulary
- IELTS Listening Vocabulary
- Sports Vocabulary IELTS
- English Pronunciation in use Intermediate pdf
- Work Vocabulary IELTS
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS