Key word: Action
1 Verb + action
Use the correct form of these verbs:
condone demand explain
put into swing into take
- Shopkeepers in the town centre are ______________ tougher action against the vandals who continue to damage their shops at night.
- She will have to ______________ her actions – and defend them before the disciplinary committee – if she is to get her job back.
- We’ve had enough talk! We need to __________ these ideas ______________ action as soon as we can.
- Air traffic controllers are threatening to ______________ industrial action if their pay demands aren’t met.
- The emergency services are always on standby and ready to ______________ action at a moment’s notice.
- There’s no way that the college can ______________ the actions of these students. Throwing eggs at the Queen is not an appropriate way to protest.
2 Common adjective collocations
Use the following adjectives in these sentences:
- If the manager hadn’t acted so quickly, the whole factory would have been destroyed. It was his ______________ action that prevented the fire from spreading.
- The army has been given full powers to take ______________ action is necessary to restore order to the streets of the capital.
- The company cannot continue to lose money at this rate. The situation calls for ______________ action.
- ______________ action will be taken against any member of staff who is found using the internet for personal matters.
- Britain and the US agreed on ______________ action to combat the threat of world-wide terrorism.
- The pilot of a commercial jet had to take ______________ action yesterday to avoid a mid-air collision with a small military plane.
Go back and underline all the adjective + action collocations in this exercise.
3 Expressions with prepositions
Using these prepositions with prepositions below:
plan of course of need for
implications of result of responsible for
- We realise that the situation is critical and we fully appreciate the _______ immediate action.
- When the settlers cut down all the trees, they failed to consider the wider _______ their actions, so the area became a desert.
- People who are mentally ill cannot be held _______ their actions.
- How are you going to deal with this situation? What’s your _______ action?
- The surgeon was to blame. My father’s death was the direct _______ his actions.
- They’re planning to build a dam across the river. However, experts disagree whether this is the best _______ action to take.
1. Note the following:
They say he’s a good player. I’ve never seen him in action.
He is out of action due to an knee injury.
2. We talk about taking industrial action when we mean going on strike. We talk about taking military action.
3. Note the common expression: He’s a typical politician – all talk and no action.
4. An action group is a group of people who get together with a common aim to do something positive, eg to help homeless people.
- demanding 2. explain 3. put …… into 4. take 5. swing into 6. condone
- prompt 2. whatever 3. drastic 4. Disciplinary 5. joint 6. evasive
- need for 2. implications of 3. responsible for 4. plan of 5. result of 6. course of
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!