Key word – Activity
1 Verb + activity
Use the correct form of these verbs:
avoid be involved in monitor
do organise support
- Our yoga group ____________ a number of activities throughout the year. Our monthly newsletter gives you an update on our current activities.
- The police suspect that he is ____________ some kind of illegal activity, but they can’t prove it yet.
- This is a simple activity you can____________ with mixed ability classes.
- It is important that you ____________ any kind of sporting activity for at least three weeks after your operation.
- Charities depend on people like us to ____________ their activities. Otherwise, they would not be able to function.
- A national committee has been set up to ____________ the activities of the police. It is important that they are answerable to the general public.
2 Common adjective collocations
Complete the sentences with these adjective collocations:
frenetic activity outdoor activities
pleasurable activities strenuous activity
- You’re wasting your time playing computer games. You need to redirect your energies into more ____________ .
- For me, one of life’s most ____________ is going for a long walk in the countryside.
- I hate being inside. That’s why I love ____________ like mountaineering and sailing.
- You can do some light exercises, but avoid any kind of ____________ if you want to recover from your injury quickly.
- We worked night and day to meet the deadline and after two weeks of ____________ the job was finished on time.
Go back and underline other interesting collocations in this exercises
3 Types of activity
Use these adjectives in the sentences:
criminal economic extra-curricular
- A shorter working week means that people today have much more time for ____________ activities.
- A friend of mine was arrested and imprisoned for his ____________ activities. He refused to accept the government ban on public demonstrations.
- Apart from its academic programme the school offers a wide range of ____________ activities, including swimming, drama, cycling and archery .
- There’s been an increase in ____________ activity in our area in recent years – mostly drug-related.
- In third world countries agriculture remains the main ____________ activity.
4 Noun + of + activity
Use these nouns in the sentence:
bouts flurry hive signs variety
- The whole of our house was a ____________ of activity on the day of my sister’s wedding. Everybody was rushing around preparing things.
- The new sports centre offers a wide ____________ of activities including tennis, swimming and squash.
- There was a sudden ____________ of activity when Madonna arrived, then the photographers sat down and waited for the next star to arrive.
- Doctors tell us that regular exercise is better than occasional ____________ of strenuous activity.
- The plants in the garden are finally showing ____________ of activity after the long cold winter.
|1. These expressions mean a lot of activity:
The hall was a scene of constant activity.
The place was buzzing with activity.
2. Note these verb collocations:
Lots of activities were laid on for the children.
What kind of leisure activities do you enjoy?
- organises 2. involved in 3. do 4. avoid 5. support 6. monitor
1 worthwhile activities 2. pleasurable activities
3 outdoor activities 4. strenuous activity
5 frenetic activity
- leisure 2. political 3. extra-curricular 4. criminal 5. economic
l. hive 2. variety 3.flurry 4. bouts 5. signs
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by IELTS Editor (see all)
- Improve Your Vocabulary in IELTS Speaking & Writing – Key Word: Thing - April 1, 2018
- Boost Your Lexical Resource – Key Word: Rule - March 26, 2018
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: promise - November 20, 2017