Key word – Activity
1 Verb + activity
Use the correct form of these verbs:
avoid be involved in monitor
do organise support
- Our yoga group ____________ a number of activities throughout the year. Our monthly newsletter gives you an update on our current activities.
- The police suspect that he is ____________ some kind of illegal activity, but they can’t prove it yet.
- This is a simple activity you can____________ with mixed ability classes.
- It is important that you ____________ any kind of sporting activity for at least three weeks after your operation.
- Charities depend on people like us to ____________ their activities. Otherwise, they would not be able to function.
- A national committee has been set up to ____________ the activities of the police. It is important that they are answerable to the general public.
2 Common adjective collocations
Complete the sentences with these adjective collocations:
frenetic activity outdoor activities
pleasurable activities strenuous activity
- You’re wasting your time playing computer games. You need to redirect your energies into more ____________ .
- For me, one of life’s most ____________ is going for a long walk in the countryside.
- I hate being inside. That’s why I love ____________ like mountaineering and sailing.
- You can do some light exercises, but avoid any kind of ____________ if you want to recover from your injury quickly.
- We worked night and day to meet the deadline and after two weeks of ____________ the job was finished on time.
Go back and underline other interesting collocations in this exercises
3 Types of activity
Use these adjectives in the sentences:
criminal economic extra-curricular
- A shorter working week means that people today have much more time for ____________ activities.
- A friend of mine was arrested and imprisoned for his ____________ activities. He refused to accept the government ban on public demonstrations.
- Apart from its academic programme the school offers a wide range of ____________ activities, including swimming, drama, cycling and archery .
- There’s been an increase in ____________ activity in our area in recent years – mostly drug-related.
- In third world countries agriculture remains the main ____________ activity.
4 Noun + of + activity
Use these nouns in the sentence:
bouts flurry hive signs variety
- The whole of our house was a ____________ of activity on the day of my sister’s wedding. Everybody was rushing around preparing things.
- The new sports centre offers a wide ____________ of activities including tennis, swimming and squash.
- There was a sudden ____________ of activity when Madonna arrived, then the photographers sat down and waited for the next star to arrive.
- Doctors tell us that regular exercise is better than occasional ____________ of strenuous activity.
- The plants in the garden are finally showing ____________ of activity after the long cold winter.
|1. These expressions mean a lot of activity:
The hall was a scene of constant activity.
The place was buzzing with activity.
2. Note these verb collocations:
Lots of activities were laid on for the children.
What kind of leisure activities do you enjoy?
- organises 2. involved in 3. do 4. avoid 5. support 6. monitor
1 worthwhile activities 2. pleasurable activities
3 outdoor activities 4. strenuous activity
5 frenetic activity
- leisure 2. political 3. extra-curricular 4. criminal 5. economic
l. hive 2. variety 3.flurry 4. bouts 5. signs
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!