Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: Activity
- 1 Key word – Activity
- 1.1 Verb + Activity
- 1.2 Common Adjective Collocations
- 1.3 Types of Activity
- 1.4 Noun + Of + Activity
- 1.5 Answer Key
Key word – Activity
Verb + Activity
Use the correct form of these verbs:
|avoid||be involved in||monitor|
- Our yoga group ____________ a number of activities throughout the year. Our monthly newsletter gives you an update on our current activities.
- The police suspect that he is ____________ some kind of illegal activity, but they can’t prove it yet.
- This is a simple activity you can____________ with mixed ability classes.
- It is important that you ____________ any kind of sporting activity for at least three weeks after your operation.
- Charities depend on people like us to ____________ their activities. Otherwise, they would not be able to function.
- A national committee has been set up to ____________ the activities of the police. It is important that they are answerable to the general public.
Common Adjective Collocations
Complete the sentences with these adjective collocations:
|frenetic activity||pleasurable activities||outdoor activities||worthwhile activities||strenuous activity|
- You’re wasting your time playing computer games. You need to redirect your energies into more ____________ .
- For me, one of life’s most ____________ is going for a long walk in the countryside.
- I hate being inside. That’s why I love ____________ like mountaineering and sailing.
- You can do some light exercises, but avoid any kind of ____________ if you want to recover from your injury quickly.
- We worked night and day to meet the deadline and after two weeks of ____________ the job was finished on time.
Go back and underline other interesting collocations in this exercises
Types of Activity
Use these adjectives in the sentences:
- A shorter working week means that people today have much more time for ____________ activities.
- A friend of mine was arrested and imprisoned for his ____________ activities. He refused to accept the government ban on public demonstrations.
- Apart from its academic programme the school offers a wide range of ____________ activities, including swimming, drama, cycling and archery .
- There’s been an increase in ____________ activity in our area in recent years – mostly drug-related.
- In third world countries agriculture remains the main ____________ activity.
Noun + Of + Activity
Use these nouns in the sentence:
- The whole of our house was a ____________ of activity on the day of my sister’s wedding. Everybody was rushing around preparing things.
- The new sports centre offers a wide ____________ of activities including tennis, swimming and squash.
- There was a sudden ____________ of activity when Madonna arrived, then the photographers sat down and waited for the next star to arrive.
- Doctors tell us that regular exercise is better than occasional ____________ of strenuous activity.
- The plants in the garden are finally showing ____________ of activity after the long cold winter.
- These expressions mean a lot of activity:
- The hall was a scene of constant activity
- The place was buzzing with activity.
Note these verb collocations:
- Lots of activities were laid on for the children.
- What kind of leisure activities do you enjoy?
- involved in
- worthwhile activities
- pleasurable activities
- outdoor activities
- strenuous activity
- frenetic activity