Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: Agreement
Key word: Agreement
1 Verb + agreement
Use the correct form of these verbs:
- Make sure you look closely at the details before you enter into any agreement. Never __________ an agreement without reading the small print first.
- We reserve the right to__________ this agreement if you fail to make the regular monthly payments.
- You’ll have to __________ your parents’ agreement if you want to go on the school trip.
- When we make an agreement with someone, we always__________ it. Our reputation depends on the fact that we adhere strictly to any agreement we make.
- After hours of talking the two sides failed to __________ agreement. They will meet again tomorrow in a final attempt to come to some sort of agreement.
- By going on strike they __________ the agreement they made earlier with their employer. They could be fired for breaching the terms of the agreement.
2 Common adjective collocations
Use the following adjectives in these sentences:
- It’s best to get things in writing. __________ agreements often don’t stand up in court.
- Nothing was said at the meeting. There seemed to be __________ agreement that the subject of the manager’s expenses wouldn’t be discussed.
- My wife and I came to an __________ agreement when we split up. She got the house and I got the money. It worked out really well.
- There is __________ agreement in the medical profession that pregnant women shouldn’t smoke.
- It was not a __________ agreement in their view, so they feel they can break it without penalty.
- There is __________ agreement that a new airport is needed. Nobody disputes that, but there is fundamental disagreement over where to build it.
Go back and underline the collocations.
3 Verb + disagreement
Use the correct form of the following verbs:
cause express have resolve
- Protesters marched through London to __________ their disagreement with government policy.
- My wife and I don’t __________ many disagreements, but when they do arise, they tend to be over the best way to spend money.
- Management and unions have been trying to __________ their disagreement over proposals to reduce the workforce, but after three days of talks there is still no sign of an agreement.
- I think the new timetables are certain to __________ disagreement amongst staff.
1. Notice the differences in meaning in the following examples:
We are in complete agreement (We agree about everything.)
We are in broad agreement. (We agree about most things.)
2. We use a number of adjectives to describe a serious disagreement:
There is considerable disagreement over the safety of genetically modified food.
There is profound disagreement on who should become the next leader of the party.
There is fundamental disagreement about the best way to fund the health service.
3. You can say there is ‘considerable’ or ‘fundamental agreement’, but you cannot say ‘profound agreement’.
- sign 2. cancel 3. get 4. honour 5. reach 6. broke
1.Verbal 2. tacit 3. amicable 4.general 5. binding 6. unanimous
- express 2. have 3. resolve 4. cause
Also check :
- Best IELTS Vocabulary books
- Grammar for IELTS
- IELTS Vocabulary
- IELTS Listening words
- Sports Vocabulary IELTS
- English Pronunciation in use Intermediate pdf
- Work Vocabulary IELTS