Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: Approval
Key word: approval
1 Verb + approval
Use the correct form of these verbs:
give meet with need
seek show win
- The board of directors talked over the proposal and decided to__________ it their approval.
- My plans for the new house are complete – now all I__________ is approval to build it.
- The audience__________ their approval by calling for encore after encore, then giving them a standing ovation.
- She desperately wants to__________ her father’s approval.
- We’ll have to__________ approval from head office before spending any more on this project.
- The council’s plans for new traffic measures have __________ the approval of local residents.
2 Common adjective collocations
Choose the correct adjective in the following:
- Most guarantees on anything you buy now state that if the goods do not meet with your __________ approval, you may return them within 30 days of purchase – as long as you still have the receipt! (full / detailed)
- You need__________ approval from the local council before you can build a garage in your garden. (official / legal)
- Much against his wishes, the founder of the troubled company was forced to give his__________ approval to the takeover plans. (reluctant / grudging)
- Last night’s committee meeting gave __________ approval to your plan for a new day centre for elderly people. There wasn’t even one vote against. (complete / unanimous)
- The constitution of the USA requires the President to seek the__________ approval of Congress for any kind of military action. (previous / prior)
- Incredibly, the proposed changes to the voting system have met with__________ approval. There have been very few objections. (majority / widespread)
3 Noun + of + approval
Use these nouns to complete the sentences:
- Last week the government gave its____________ of approval to the deal.
- There was a____________ of approval from the crowd when Nevin was replaced by Beckham.
- The children longed for some ____________ of affection or approval from their mother.
- I was pleased when I saw my teacher in the audience giving me a____________ of approval.
4 Preposition + approval
Complete the sentences with these prepositions:
on without for in
- The architects sent the designs of the shopping centre to the planning department ____________ their approval.
- When we suggested spending £10,000 on new computers, several people at the meeting nodded ____________ approval.
- I’m sorry, I can’t agree to anything____________ my partner’s approval.
- These goods are supplied ____________ approval. That means you can return them if they are not satisfactory.
Go back and underline the full prepositional expressions.
1. The phrase used in 3-1 is a common thing to say in speech. For example:
Are we going to have the meeting in London or Leeds?
> Well, Leeds would definitely have my seal of approval.
2. Notice the large number of adjectives which mean full approval: total, 100%, unqualified, wholehearted, overwhelming, unanimous, universal, widespread.
3. A decision which has not been fully passed can be subject to the approval of, for example, the board, the council, the government etc.
- give 2. need 3. showed 4. win 5. seek 6. met with
- full 2. official 3. grudging 4. unanimous 5. prior 6. widespread
- seal 2. roar 3. sign 4. nod
- for 2. in 3. without 4. on
Also check :