Key word: area
1 Verb + area
Use the correct form of these verbs:
avoid cover develop destroy
know police tour
- I’m sorry I don’t know where the high school is. Ask Jane. She ___________ the local area very well.
- Buxton is very central and it makes an ideal base for ___________ the area.
- The National Park ___________ an area of some 2000 square kilometres.
- Following the rise in crime, there are calls for more money to be spent on ___________ the area.
- Heathrow does its best to make sure planes ___________ flying over residential areas at night.
- The introduction of a good public transport system is essential for___________ that area of South Africa.
- Fires have ___________ huge areas of forest around Sydney for the second year running.
2 Verb phrases with prepositions
Complete the sentences with the following:
to in (x2) off outside
from into over
- A lot of new people have moved___________ this area recently. It’s meant a big rise in house prices.
- Wreckage from the crashed plane was scattered ___________ a wide area.
- When an old Second World War bomb was discovered in a field, the police cordoned___________ the area with tape. People couldn’t go back to their houses till it was made safe.
- I know someone who has a house in a very select area of the city, but he chooses to live ___________ one of the most run-down areas of town!
- A man answering the suspect’s description was seen ___________ the area on the night of the crime.
- The government is desperately trying to attract industry___________ this area.
- Thousands of refugees are fleeing ___________ the war- torn area.
- Although the murders were all in and around Manchester, we know from his Welsh accent that the murderer comes from ___________ the area.
3 Common adjective collocations
Use these adjectives to complete the sentences:
built-up deprived disaster immediate
remote restricted rural surrounding
- The new scheme will provide special help to poor people living in___________ areas.
- The all-day tour takes in Naples and the ___________ area.
- There are no leisure facilities in the ___________ area, so we have to travel across town to the nearest swimming pool.
- The village is in a ___________ area of the island, accessible only by helicopter or boat.
- I received a £100 fine for speeding in a ___________ area.
- I’m sorry, I must ask you to leave. This is a ___________ area – you need a pass to enter.
- Following the earthquake, aid is being rushed to the ___________ area.
- Bus services in urban areas are excellent, but in ___________ areas they are not so good.
4 Special areas
Use these words to complete the sentences:
baggage reclaim picnic play
no-smoking reception special
- There’s a __________ area at most airports where you can watch aircraft taking off and landing.
- Visitors should wait in the__________ area until met by an attendant.
- All restaurants should have a __________ area.
- Animals are not allowed in the children’s__________ area.
- Please remove all litter from the__________ area when you leave.
- We had to wait a long time in the__________ area for our luggage to arrive.
Note the following:
After the party the room was a disaster area with dirty plates and glasses lying all over the place.
- knows 2. touring 3. covers 4. policing 5. avoid 6. developing 7. destroyed
l into 2. over 3. off 4. in
5 in 6. to 7. from 8. outside
1 deprived 2. surrounding 3. immediate 4. remote
5 built-up 6. restricted 7. disaster 8. rural
1 special 2. reception 3. no-smoking 4. play
5 picnic 6. baggage reclaim
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by IELTS Editor (see all)
- Improve Your Vocabulary in IELTS Speaking & Writing – Key Word: Thing - April 1, 2018
- Boost Your Lexical Resource – Key Word: Rule - March 26, 2018
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: promise - November 20, 2017