Key word: attempt
1 Verb + attempt
Use the correct form of these verbs:
abandon fail foil make
- Acting on information from the French, customs officials have ___________ an attempt to smuggle a large quantity of heroin into the country.
- Because of bad weather conditions, we were forced to___________ our attempt to reach the summit of Mt Everest.
- I wonder what’s wrong with Andy. Last night he ___________ a few half-hearted attempts to join in our conversation, and then he left early.
- All my attempts to start the car ___________ so we ended up getting a taxi.
Go back and underline all the other interesting collocations in this exercise.
2 Common adjective collocations
Complete the sentences below with the following:
- I was pleased when I passed my driving test at the ___________ attempt.
- The driver of the train died at the scene of the accident despite___________ attempts by the paramedics to revive him.
- Despite falling and injuring his leg, Jim made a ___________ attempt to finish the marathon.
- I made a rather ___________ attempt to apologise for my behaviour, but it was obvious that I didn’t really mean it.
- I’ve made several ___________ attempts to speak to the manager, but he is always ‘out of his office at the moment’.
- For two weeks the army made ___________ attempts to break through enemy lines, all of which ended in failure.
- If the weather holds, the Chinese team are going to make a ___________ attempt to reach the summit tomorrow.
- The Foreign Secretary’s speech on the GulfWar was a ___________ attempt to embarrass the government.
3 In an attempt to + verb
Match the two halves of these sentences:
- Two factories were closed
- Talks are taking place at this very moment
- Politicians on both sides have called for a ceasefire
- Anne’s very upset. I’m afraid I failed
- He has succeeded
a in a last-ditch attempt to avert a strike.
b in my attempt to persuade her to come to the party.
c in a desperate attempt to cut costs.
d in his latest attempt to break the world land speed record.
e in an attempt to prevent further bloodshed.
Go back and underline all the expressions with attempt in this exercise
1. In 1-2 you can also say give up.
2. In 2-4 you can also say a pathetic or feeble attempt.
3. Note the following passive structure:
Several attempts have been made on the President’s life. (Somebody tried to kill him.)
4. Note this example:
She made no attempt to conceal / disguise / hide her anger.
5. Note these noun + noun collocations:
The rescue attempt was hampered by fog.
He received psychiatric help after his botched suicide attempt.
- foiled 2. abandon 3. made 4.failed
1 first 2. desperate 3. brave 4. half-hearted
5 unsuccessful 6. repeated 7. final 8. deliberate
l-c 2-a 3-e 4-b 5-d
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by IELTS Editor (see all)
- Improve Your Vocabulary in IELTS Speaking & Writing – Key Word: Thing - April 1, 2018
- Boost Your Lexical Resource – Key Word: Rule - March 26, 2018
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: promise - November 20, 2017