Key word: attention
1 Verb collocations
Use the correct form of these verbs:
need pay get have hold
- Children often misbehave in order to _________ attention.
- The play was disappointing. It didn’t _________ my attention for very long.
- Can I _________ your attention, please? I have an important announcement to make.
- Babies _________ a lot of care and attention.
- As a caring society I think we need to _________ more attention to the elderly.
First underline the verb collocations in the following. Then divide them into two groups: those meaning ‘give attention to something’ and those meaning ‘something gets your attention’.
- Don’t pay any attention to what Lyn is saying. She doesn’t know what she’s talking about.
- There’s no point trying to attract the waiter’s attention. He’s not interested!
- There are a number of important issues that we need to direct our attention to.
- Something bright caught the baby’s attention and she reached out and tried to touch it.
- When I’ve finished studying the European market, I intend turning my attention to South East Asia.
2 Common adjective collocations
Complete the sentences below with the following:
- If you just wait till I’ve finished writing this letter, I’ll give you my full and ______ attention.
- Pay_________ attention to everything I say. It’s important that you follow the instructions.
- 80 people drowned when the ferry sank. The owners had paid _________ attention to safety.
- Let’s sit in that corner – away from everyone else. We don’t want to attract _________ attention.
- His paintings are so realistic. He pays _________ attention to detail.
- Sorry, I’ve got to rush. I’ve just had a telephone call which requires my _________ attention.
3 Verb phrases with prepositions
Complete the expression in colour with a suitable preposition:
- The fire inspector called our attention _________ the fact that some members of staff were not following the correct procedures.
- If we don’t bring this _________ the attention of the police, nothing will be done.
- The war diverted people’s attention away _________ the country’s economic problems.
- We’re organising a campaign to draw people’s attention_________ the harmful effects of food additives.
- The election is in four months. This tax cut is obviously designed to distract public attention _________ from the government’s failures.
- Last night’s documentary helped to focus world attention _________ the plight of the Somali refugees.
1. In 2-5 we can also say painstaking attention.
2. Someone is the ‘centre of attention’ when everybody wants to see or talk to them.
He’s a rock star so he’s the centre of attention everywhere he goes.
3. Note the preposition in the following phrase:
My attention wasn’t on my work. My mind was elsewhere.
4. If something escapes your attention, you do not notice it:
The fact that the company was operating without a licence had not escaped the attention of the authorities.
Also check : IELTS Vocabulary
- get 2. hold 3. have 4. need 5. pay
Giving attention: 1-pay; 3-direct to; 5-turn to
Getting attention: 2-attract; 4-caught
1 undivided 2. close 3. insufficient 4. unwelcome
5 meticulous 6. immediate
- to 2. to 3. from 4. to 5. away 6. on