Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score-Key Word:Ban
- Use the correct form of these verbs:
- The Football Association______a three-match ban on the player for unprofessional behaviour.
- Thousands of students______the ban on political meetings. They held a mass demonstration in the main square demanding freedom of speech and free elections.
- After the failure of the pay negotiations, the union______a ban on overtime.
- The government will______the ban on fishing for scallops when scientists assure them that the shellfish are safe to eat.
- Do you remember which airline was the first to______a smoking ban on all its flights?
- All delegates except the Japanese______the worldwide ban on whaling.
A Complete Ban on Something
2. Complete the sentences below with these ideas:
|land mines||tobacco advertising|
|the trade in ivory||sale of handguns|
|using e-mail||human cloning|
- From Monday there is to be a total ban on______for personal purposes in office time. Anyone caught booking flights, for example, will be dismissed on the spot.
- Thousands of children lost limbs in the aftermath of the war. All political parties are calling for a ban on the production and use of______.
- In the aftermath of Dunblane and the American high school shootings, there were calls for a complete ban on the______.
- In order to discourage young people from smoking, many western governments have imposed a blanket ban on______.
- Many famous biologists believe that there should be an outright ban on______.
- The African elephant is only surviving today because of the worldwide ban on______.
Go back and underline all the expressions meaning a complete ban.
Put+A Ban on
3. Notice the difference between these sentences:
- They’ve banned the advertising of alcohol.
- They’ve put a ban on the advertising of alcohol.
Change the following sentences so that they follow the pattern of sentence 2:
- They’ve banned the sale of alcohol at the match.
- They’ve banned the importing of UK lamb.
- They’ve banned all flights into North Korea.
- They’ve banned the sale of pornography.
1. In 1-2 ‘ignored’ is also possible.
2. Note the use of ‘banned’ as an adjective:
3. A ‘test ban treaty’ is an agreement between countries to stop testing nuclear weapons.
4. Here is a common use of ‘ban’ as a verb:
- using e-mail
- land mines
- sale of handguns
- tobacco advertising
- human cloning
- the trade in ivory
Complete = total, blanket, outright, worldwide
- They’ve put a ban on the sale of alcohol at the match.
- They’ve put a ban on the import of UK lamb.
- They’ve put a ban on all flights into North Korea.
- They’ve put a ban on the sale of pornography.
Also check :
Post your Comments