Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score-Key Word:Behaviour
- Use the correct form of these verbs:
- Go and report to the head teacher immediately. I’m not standing for this sort of behaviour in my classroom any longer. I simply will not______your appalling behaviour.
- An insecure family environment can only______a child’s behaviour in a negative way.
- I don’t know why you’re______my behaviour! You’re not exactly perfect yourself.
- How do you______her behaviour at the party last night? She was rude to almost everybody she talked to, which isn’t like her. I’m certainly baffled by her behaviour.
- The President has______his behaviour, but many people are unwilling to accept that and feel that he should resign.
- Terry can be a real nuisance in class, but I must say his behaviour has______a lot recently.
- You can______your behaviour, but you can’t______your personality!
Common Adjective Collocations
2. Use the following adjectives in these sentences:
- The crowd booed when the national anthem was played at the beginning of the football match. I find that sort of behavior______. It’s completely unacceptable.
- My mother’s problem is she washes her hands over and over again. As you can imagine, this kind of______behaviour can be difficult to live with.
- The latest studies seem to show that computer games encourage______and aggressive behaviour in young children.
- Our chemistry teacher is everyone’s idea of the mad scientist. His behaviour is somewhat______. It’s hard to predict what he’ll do next.
- It is important that teachers reward______behaviour.
- There’s no question that playing loud music after midnight in a flat is______behaviour.
3. Complete the sentences below with these nouns:
- Our school demands the highest______of behaviour from its students.
- I don’t understand why Maria just got up and walked out. Did she offer any______for her strange behaviour?
- Nobody should behave like that in public. There’s no______for that kind of behaviour.
- Leaving her to walk home alone so late at night was outside the______of acceptable behaviour. I think you should apologise to her.
- Since our daughter started her treatment, there’s been a definite______in her behaviour. She’s much less aggressive at school.
- The boy next door is always in trouble with the police. However, when he was at school, he was a______of good behaviour.
Go back and underline the complete expressions including the prepositions.
2. Good behaviour can be excellent or exemplary.
Bad behaviour can be unacceptable, strange, violent and undesirable.
3. Note the expression ‘be on your best behaviour’:
4. Note these types of behaviour:
5. Behaviour is often followed by to or towards:
- apologised for
- change, change
Also check :