Using Collocation to Boost your IELTS Score – Key Word:Belief
Limited-Time Offer : Access a FREE 10-Day IELTS Study Plan!
- Use the correct form of these verbs:
|shake||hold||stand up for|
- My boss______strong political beliefs and expresses them on every possible occasion!
- Although I don’t______your beliefs, I do respect them. I think this is important in a democratic society.
- We should all have the courage to______our beliefs.
- He was only fined £100 for killing somebody in a road accident! This case has______my belief in our justice system.
- My mother’s long battle against stomach cancer has only______her belief in God.
- A week after her husband disappeared in a boating accident, she’s still______the belief that he’s alive. She refuses to accept that he might have drowned.
Common Adjective Collocations
2. Use these adjectives to complete the sentences:
- For years at school I was under the______belief that Anne was Chris’s mother. It was only years later I found out she was his step-sister!
- Contrary to______belief, eating carrots does not improve your eyesight.
- My brother has an______belief in his own abilities. I’ve never known anybody with such self-belief and self-confidence.
- It is my______belief that abortion is immoral. Nobody will ever convince me that we have the right to end life in that way.
- Fighting has again broken out along the border. There is now a______belief among politicians that war is inevitable.
- If you want to be a successful salesman, you have to have a______belief in the product you are selling. It’s no good just pretending to like something.
Expressions with Prepositions
3. Complete the sentences below with on, to or of:
- Throughout her persecution, Joan of Arc remained faithful______her beliefs. She refused to give them up.
- The fact that millions of people are dying of famine has shaken the foundations______my belief in God.
- Sarah’s parents hadn’t realised the depth______her religious beliefs until she told them she had decided to become a nun.
- I’ve never really trusted that woman. I’ve always had doubts about the sincerity______her beliefs.
- Capitalism is partly based______the belief that people work more productively if they are working for themselves.
- Every religion has its own set______beliefs.
2. If you really find something impossible to explain or understand you can say that it ‘beggars belief’.
3. Note that we talk of having political and religious beliefs.
- stand up for
- clinging to
Also check :