Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: Challenge
Key Word: Challenge
1 Verb + challenge
Use the correct form of these verbs:
accept face issue
meet pose provide
- Persuading staff to accept new patterns of work is a challenge _________ by many companies that want to develop.
- Have you heard the news? Lewis has just _________ Tyson’s challenge to fight for the world title.
- The trouble with my current job is that it doesn’t _________ me with enough of a challenge.
- We need to modernise this business in order to _________ the challenges of the next decade.
- In the near future Frankfurt could _________ a real challenge to London as the financial centre of Europe.
- The Conservative candidate _________ a challenge to the rest of the candidates to take part in a public debate. I think they were wise to say no.
2 Common adjective collocations
Complete the sentences with these adjectives:
- The Scottish football league is a two-horse race. Celtic is the only team that can offer a _________ challenge to Rangers, the current champions.
- Climbing is both a _________ and a mental challenge.
- I gave up my job as a doctor after twenty years and became a teacher. I felt I wanted a _________ challenge.
- One of the _________ challenges we face today is how to feed the world’s growing population.
- After his _________ challenge for the leadership of the party, the Minister announced his retirement from politics.
- The firemen’s strike was seen as a _________ challenge to the authority of the government.
- After discussions with a lawyer, we have decided to mount a _________ challenge to the decision to close down the school.
- Raising the money to build this new hospital has been an _________ challenge.
3 Big challenges
Match the halves of these sentences:
- The British athlete, Mark Wilson, put up a strong challenge
- The strike by transport workers represents a serious challenge
- Leyton Hewitt is expected to make a major challenge
- Designing a computer to beat the world chess champion
- The court will face a tough challenge
- Real Madrid face a stiff challenge
a in the next round of the competition.
b conducting a fair trial in such an emotional case.
c posed a formidable challenge.
d in the early part of the race but gradually fell away.
e to the government’s pay policy.
f for the men’s title at Wimbledon this year.
Go back and underline all the expressions which mean big challenge
1. In 1-2 ‘taken up’ is also possible. In I-4‘rise to’ is also possible. In 1-5 ‘represent’ is also possible.
2. Note these ways of saying you like a challenge:
The new manager says he relishes the challenge of rebuilding the club and winning titles again.
I like the challenge of learning new languages.
He always chooses the most difficult hills to climb because he loves a challenge.
3. If you ‘throw down’ a challenge you invite somebody to take part in a game, a fight, or a competition.
They threw down the challenge that he couldn’t eat fifty doughnuts in five minutes.
1.faced 2. accepted 3. provide 4. meet 5. pose 6. issued
l real 2. physical 3. new 4. biggest
5 unsuccessful 6. direct 7. legal 8. enormous
l-d 2-e 3-f 4-c 5-b 6-a
Also check :