Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score-Key Word:Comment
- Use the correct form of these verbs:
- Do you______any comment on the situation, Mr President?
- I entirely agree with the comments you______about the state of the underground system.
- The council has______comments from residents about the plans for the new shopping centre.
- The interviewer made some rather rude remarks to the Prime Minister’s wife. He later publicly______ his comments.
- I would______any comments you might have on my work. All comments and suggestions will be gratefully received.
- No one in the office has dared______comment on my new hair colour. I think they’re all afraid to upset me!
Common Adjective Collocations
2. Complete the sentences below with the following:
- OK, you’re right. That’s______comment. I could have played better. I just wasn’t on top form.
- Everything my client has to say on this matter is contained in the press release. She has no______comment to make at this stage.
- Your husband passed some very______comments about my wife’s appearance at the party. I hope he will apologise.
- I think Pete’s ideas are important and they deserve more than a______comment.
- My boss isn’t nasty or unpleasant, but he has a habit of making slightly______comments about my accent. Why does he do this, I wonder?
- My tutor made some very______comments on my essay – they were apt and to the point.
- Ignore my______comment. I wasn’t thinking properly!
- Last night’s programme about homeless people in our cities was a______comment on the current state of our society.
1.You can also use ‘welcome’ in I-5.
2.In 1-6 notice that you can ‘pass comment’, but in 1-2 you ‘make a comment’.
3. In 2-3 you can also say ‘derogatory comments’.
4.In 2-8 ‘comment’ is used to mean a bad picture of something. You can also use ‘telling’:
5.Note these comment+verb collocations:
6.Note the following prepositional phrases:
7.Note how we tell people that we do not wish to talk about something:
8.Note the verbs we use to describe our reactions to comments:
- apologised for
Also check :