Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: condition
Limited-Time Offer : Access a FREE 10-Day IELTS Study Plan!
Key word: condition
1 Adjective + condition (state)
Complete the sentences with these adjectives:
- In my spare time I buy old motorcycles and restore them to their __________ condition.
- You can’t use that bike in its __________ condition. The brakes need fixing and the back tyre is punctured.
- Although the lift has been operating non-stop for twenty years, it’s still in __________ working condition. It’s serviced regularly.
- Nothing’s been spent on the house for years. It’s really in very__________ condition.
- Although my car is 25 years old, it’s still in __________ condition. It really does look brand new.
- I’d buy that car. I know it’s 8 years old and it’s got some rust, but it’s in __________ condition for its age. I mean, what else can you get for £ 1,000 these days?
2 Verb + condition (state of health)
Use the correct form of these verbs:
aggravate suffer from
- I’m pleased to say that your mother’s condition is __________ , but we’ll be keeping a close eye on her for a few days just to be on the safe side.
- My brother __________ a rare heart condition. He could drop dead at any moment.
- This man’s condition is critical and __________ urgent treatment. If we can’t get him to a hospital quickly, he won’t survive.
- Nowadays steroids are used to__________ some types of skin condition.
- I was given tablets to help clear up the rash on my arms, but they only __________ the condition. The rash became redder and more itchy and now it’s spread to my face and neck.
- Our neighbour was rushed to hospital last week after her condition suddenly __________ . She was doing so well, then she just collapsed.
3 Adjective + conditions (circumstances)
Complete the sentences below with the following:
adverse weather difficult
- The work on the bridge was completed under very__________ conditions. At one stage we almost gave up completely.
- Doctors and nurses are having to work in seriously overcrowded and __________ conditions. This town badly needs a new hospital.
- The match has been cancelled due to __________ conditions. Heavy rain has flooded the pitch, making it unplayable.
- We took the car to Norway, but the __________ conditions on the way back were dreadful. We didn’t have winter tyres on the car, so we just had to take it slowly.
- Living or studying in an English-speaking country provides the__________ conditions for learning the language.
- __________ conditions in the old folks’ home were atrocious. Inspectors said they were the worst they had ever seen.
1. In 1-5 the expression ‘showroom condition’ means perfect condition. Here is another expression which means that something has never been used:
These stamps will fetch hundreds of pounds. They’re in mint condition.
2. Note the following adjectives to say that living conditions are very bad:
The prisoners were kept under the most appalling conditions. They had no toilets or running water. How can anyone live in such dreadful conditions?
3. Note the following uses:
You are in no condition to go to work, so just stay in bed and rest
I’m not fit. I really am out of condition.
4. Note this common expression:
We went on strike for better pay and conditions.
- original 2. present 3. excellent 4. poor 5. showroom 6.reasonable
- improving 2. suffers from 3. requires 4. treat 5. aggravated 6. deteriorated
- difficult 2. cramped 3. adverse weather 4. driving 5. ideal 6. Living
Also check :