1 Verb + control
Use the correct form of these verbs:
exercise go out of have
keep lose take
- The rebels have ____________ control of the city. They seized control early this morning when they stormed the presidential palace and assassinated the President.
- I don’t know what happened. I just ____________ control of the car and went into the ditch. I think it must have been a patch of ice.
- When he was giving his speech at the wedding, you could tell he was very emotional by the way he struggled to ____________ control of his voice.
- A lot of parents ____________ absolutely no control over their own children – so how do they expect the school to get them to behave?
- I like a few beers; but you have to ____________ some self-control if you have the car. I always stick to orange juice.
- As it entered the tunnel, the car she was in ____________ control and crashed. She only lived for a few hours after being rushed to hospital.
2 Adjective collocations
Match the halves to make full sentences:
- In order to stop young people drinking, the government ought to impose stricter controls
- The government’s economic policy involves keeping tight control
- After the shooting, a government official said that there would have to be more stringent controls
- One quality of an effective teacher is the ability to exercise firm control
- In certain countries the state has total control
- Some people are afraid that the Chancellor is not in complete control
a on the ownership of guns.
b over the press, radio and TV.
c over difficult students.
d of the economy.
e on the sale of alcohol.
f on inflation.
Notice that the expressions in colour all mean ‘very strong’ control.
3 Types of control
Complete the sentences with these words:
birth crowd passport quality
remote traffic overall air-traffic
- The man was arrested as he was collecting his luggage just after he had gone through ____________ control.
- If you don’t want to start a family immediately, your family doctor will give you advice on suitable methods of ____________ control.
- I hope this new scheme for____________ control in the city centre will ease congestion.
- Our strict system of ____________ control ensures that no faulty goods leave our factory.
- What’s on the other channels? I’ve no idea. Where’s the____________ control?
- One of the few effective methods of ____________ control involves the use of water cannon.
- Managers can make most decisions, but the CEO has ____________ control within the company.
- The reason we were delayed coming back was that ____________ control were on strike!
1. In l-l ‘gained’ is also possible.
2. If you ‘lose control’, it can also mean to say or do things that you would not usually do:
He had a terrible temper, and quite often he would completely lose control.
3. Notice the following expressions:
What I don’t like about being on horseback is that I don’t feel as if I’m in control.
There was nothing the company could do about their financial situation. It was totally out of / beyond / outside their control.
More than 50 firefighters fought to bring the blaze under control.
The concert has been cancelled due to circumstances beyond our control.
4. ‘Self-control’ is our ability to control our emotions and behaviour:
If I had more self-control, I wouldn’t eat as many sweets! And then I’d be a lot thinner.
- taken 2. lost 3. keep 4. have 5. exercise 6. went out of
l-e 2-f 3-a 4-c 5-b 6-d
- passport 2. birth 3. traffic 4.quality 5. remote 6. crowd 7. overall 8. air-traffic
Also check :