Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score-Key Word:Control
Limited-Time Offer : Access a FREE 10-Day IELTS Study Plan!
- Use the correct form of these verbs:
|exercise||go out of||have|
- The rebels have______control of the city. They seized control early this morning when they stormed the presidential palace and assassinated the President.
- I don’t know what happened. I just______control of the car and went into the ditch. I think it must have been a patch of ice.
- When he was giving his speech at the wedding, you could tell he was very emotional by the way he struggled to______control of his voice.
- A lot of parents______absolutely no control over their own children – so how do they expect the school to get them to behave?
- I like a few beers; but you have to______some self-control if you have the car. I always stick to orange juice.
- As it entered the tunnel, the car she was in______control and crashed. She only lived for a few hours after being rushed to hospital.
2. Match the halves to make full sentences:
|1. In order to stop young people drinking, the government ought to impose stricter controls||a. on the ownership of guns.|
|2. The government’s economic policy involves keeping tight control||b. over the press, radio and TV.|
|3. After the shooting, a government official said that there would have to be more stringent control||c. over difficult students..|
|4. One quality of an effective teacher is the ability to exercise firm control||d. of the economy.|
|5. In certain countries the state has total control||e. on the sale of alcohol.|
|6. Some people are afraid that the Chancellor is not in complete control||f. on inflation|
Notice that the expressions in colour all mean ‘very strong’ control.
Types of Control
3. Complete the sentences with these words:
- The man was arrested as he was collecting his luggage just after he had gone through______control.
- If you don’t want to start a family immediately, your family doctor will give you advice on suitable methods of______control.
- I hope this new scheme for______control in the city centre will ease congestion.
- Our strict system of______control ensures that no faulty goods leave our factory.
- What’s on the other channels? I’ve no idea. Where’s the______control?
- One of the few effective methods of______control involves the use of water cannon.
- Managers can make most decisions, but the CEO has______control within the company.
- The reason we were delayed coming back was that______control were on strike!
1. In l-l ‘gained’ is also possible.
2. If you ‘lose control’, it can also mean to say or do things that you would not usually do:
3. Notice the following expressions:
4. ‘Self-control’ is our ability to control our emotions and behaviour:
If I had more self-control, I wouldn’t eat as many sweets! And then I’d be a lot thinner.
- went out of
Also check :