Key word: description
1 Verb + description
Use the correct form of these verbs:
contain defy fit
give issue write
- It had been a clear night. The girl saw her attacker clearly, so she was able to__________ the police an pretty accurate description of him.
- No words could describe the beauty of the scenery. It __________ description.
- Police have __________ a description of a man they wish to question in connection with a fatal accident in the city centre.
- A boy, __________ the description of the missing child, was seen walking along the riverbank just before midnight last night.
- __________ a short description of your home town.
- Tonight’s documentary on new medicines is not suitable for children as it __________ a shocking description of animals being used to test drugs.
2 Common adjective collocations
Complete the sentences with these adjectives:
opt brief detailed
vague vivid accurate
- A member of the public has come forward with a full and __________ description of the men who robbed the post office. The police are now confident that they will catch the robbers.
- Her description of the scenery was so __________ that when I closed my eyes I could see snow- covered mountains clearly in my mind.
- ‘Like a fish out of water’ is an __________ description of how I felt at the party. I felt so awkward and uncomfortable.
- What can you say in 50 words? The __________ description on the back cover of the book is only intended to give you a quick idea of what the book is about.
- If the police asked you to give a description of someone you met 2 months ago, how __________ would it be?
- We only had a very __________ description of Thupten, but we had no trouble recognising him as soon as he appeared through customs.
Go back and underline the adjective collocations.
1. In 1-4‘matching’ is also possible.
2. When you apply for a job, it is normal to be given a ‘job description’.
I refused to work on Sunday as there was no mention of working at weekends in my job description.
3. Note the following expressions:
There were planes of every description at the air show. (of all kinds)
When the dentist hit the nerve in my tooth, the pain was beyond description.
He’s a great writer with remarkable powers of description.
4. Three adjectives used to describe something in a very special and memorable way are: graphic, lurid, and vivid. For example:
There’s a lurid description in chapter 4 of the affair between the young girl and the priest.
Jo gave us a vivid description of her experiences travelling round India.
The description of what the murderer did to his victims was graphic in the extreme!
5. A ‘general description’ provides the main ideas or facts. For example:
The internet guide only gives a general description of Bangkok. If you want more details, you’re better buying a proper guidebook.
Also check : IELTS Vocabulary
- give 2. defied 3. issued 4. fitting 5.Write 6. contains
- detailed 2. vivid 3. apt 4. brief 5. accurate 6. vague