1 Verb + details
Use the correct form of these verbs:
absorb check disclose go into
send finalise take uncover
- Please ___________ that these details are correct before you sign the form.
- Please write, enclosing a stamped addressed envelope, and we will ___________ you details of the health plan.
- The city council have refused to ___________ details of its plan to close the city centre to traffic.
- I don’t understand why some newspapers dig into the past of politicians in an attempt to ___________ details of their previous love affairs. It’s sick!
- There’s too much information in this leaflet. I’m having difficulty ___________ all the details.
- I can’t ___________ details at the moment; it would take too long. I’ll just give you the gist of what he said and I’ll fill you in later with all the details.
- The police ___________ all the details and said they would get back to me within the week.
- We can’t ___________ the details of our holiday yet. I won’t know when I can get time off till Friday.
2 Giving details
Match the two halves of these sentences.
Underline the verbs which mean ‘giving details’.
- Can you give us …
- Police have so far released …
- The jurors were given strict instructions from the judge not to reveal …
- A company spokesman refused to disclose …
- The government recently announced …
- He talked to the press and divulged …
- The travel company has provided us with …
a full details of our journey across Australia.
b details of its plan to improve the health service.
c a few more details. For example, does the price include travel insurance?
d no details of the missing children.
e details of its revolutionary new product until the official launch.
f any details of the case to the press.
g details of our private conversation. You can’t trust anybody these days!
3 Common adjective collocations
Use the following adjectives in these sentences:
final further gory
minor personal precise
- If you need more information about the holiday accommodation, ____________ details can be found on our website.
- All we know is that Di’s had an accident, but we don’t know the ____________ details.
- Fill out one of these application forms with all your____________ details.
- The report contains a lot of unimportant issues. We must be careful not to let these____________ details distract us from the big issues.
- Richard’s description of the blood and everything almost made me sick. He wasn’t happy till he’d told us all the____________ details of the accident.
- We’ve agreed the general outline of the agreement, but the ____________ details have still to be worked out.
4 Expressions with prepositions
Use in, into, about and on in the following:
- We’ll need to examine the plan ____________ greater detail before we can give it our approval.
- They are still arguing____________ the details of the arrangements.
- I won’t go ____________ detail. All I’m prepared to say is she was fairly critical.
- Contact the number at the bottom of the page for more details ____________ how to obtain a passport.
1. In 3-2 you could also use ‘exact’.
2. Note these expressions:
Artists need to have an eye for detail.
Proof-reading needs great attention to detail.
They had planned the trip down to the smallest detail.
3. Note this noun phrase:
The guidebook contains a wealth of detail on the history of revolutionary France.
4. If someone notices everything, eg spotting spelling mistakes, you can say that they ‘have an excellent eye for detail’.
1 check 2. send 3. disclose 4. uncover
5 absorbing 6. go into 7. took 8. finalise
l-c 2-d 3-f 4-e 5-b 6-g 7-a
1.further 2. precise 3. personal 4. minor 5.gory 6.final
- in 2. about 3. into 4. on
Latest posts by IELTS Editor (see all)
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- Improve Your Vocabulary in IELTS Speaking & Writing – Key Word: Thing - April 1, 2018
- Boost Your Lexical Resource – Key Word: Rule - March 26, 2018
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!