Key word: doubt
1 Verb + doubt
Use the correct form of these verbs:
cast confirm have (x2)
- The latest accident on the London to Norwich line has _______ serious doubts about the safety of the braking system on the new trains.
- An order for two new ships for the navy has _______ any doubts about the shipyard’s future.
- New evidence has emerged since the trial that _______ doubt on the guilty verdict.
- I’m _______ doubts about taking the job in Paris – maybe I’ll just stay here where I’m comfortable.
- The painting didn’t look authentic. An examination by an expert has_______ our doubts.
- I_______ no doubt whatsoever that William will be a great leader and an asset to the company.
2 Determiner + doubt
Use these words to complete the sentences:
any my no (x2) some
- _______ doubt cod liver oil is very good for you, but I just don’t like the taste of it!
- Our son, Alan, is still in _______ doubt about whether to go to university or not.
- Give me a ring if you’re in_______ doubt about how to use the new software.
- They say they’ll be here by eight, but I have _______ doubts!
- There was _______ doubt in my mind that he was lying. I could tell by his shifty eyes.
3 Common expressions
Use these expressions to complete the sentences:
in doubt no doubt about it
open to doubt without doubt
beyond all reasonable doubt
- David Beckham is_______ one of the most famous football players in the world today.
- If _______ consult your doctor before continuing with this medication.
- Whether they can finish the bridge on time is still _______ .
- The prosecution’s task in a court case is to establish a person’s guilt _______ .
- Crolla’s makes the best ice cream in town. ______________ !
4 Adjective collocations
Complete the sentences with these adjectives:
slightest serious niggling
- After watching Bob’s disastrous lesson, I have _______ doubts that he’ll qualify as a teacher.
- I haven’t the _______ doubt that James will pass. He’s one of the best in the class.
- I’ve had _______ doubts about Michael. I can’t put my finger on it. I just feel something isn’t right.
grave lingering growing
- Although he was found not guilty of murder, there are still _______ doubts about his innocence.
- I’ve been having _______ doubts about taking that job in Singapore. I think I’m too old to be going abroad again.
- What do you think about this plan to open up in Scandinavia? => I’ve got _______ doubts about it myself. It’s a notoriously difficult market for outsiders.
Go back and underline all the collocations in the exercises in this unit.
1. In 3-5 ‘little’ is also possible.
2. Note that we can raise, voice, or express our doubts about something:
The meeting will give you an opportunity to voice any doubts you may have about the project
3. Note the following expressions:
I knew without a shadow of a doubt that he was guilty.
He may not have been telling the truth, but I felt I had to give him the benefit of the doubt.
He says the building will be ready on time, but I have my doubts.
4. Note the following common expression:
Doubts have arisen over the reliability of the new air-traffic control system.
Also check : IELTS Vocabulary
- raised 2. removed 3. casts 4. having 5. confirmed 6. have
1.No 2. some 3. any 4. my 5. no
1 without doubt 2. in doubt 3. open to doubt
4 beyond all reasonable doubt 5. No doubt about it.
1 serious 2. slightest 3. niggling 4. lingering
5 growing 6. grave