Key word: fight
1 Verb + fight
Use the correct form of these verbs:
be engaged in carry on give up
lose put up step up
- Workers at Ford’s lorry plant are determined to __________ a fight to save their jobs.
- More money has been promised to help scientists to __________ the fight to find a cure for AIDS.
- In response to public pressure, the government has promised to __________ the fight against drugs.
- My company __________ a bitter fight with the local council, who are refusing us planning permission for a new factory.
- Although jailed for twenty years by the military government, he refuses to __________ his fight for freedom of speech.
- If you ask me, the police seem to be __________ the fight against crime.
2 Common adjective collocations
Use these adjectives to complete the sentences:
brave easy fair good tough
- I’m not surprised we lost. Fairford United were a much better side, but we managed to put up a __________ fight.
- It won’t be an __________ fight. The government will have to work hard to convince people that this change to the law is in their interests.
- The new director has got a __________ fight on his hands. I’m not sure it was a good idea to take on the union. I can’t see them accepting the new working conditions that he wants.
- Sue died after a__________ fight against breast cancer.
- I don’t know what he’s complaining about. It was a __________ fight. The referee couldn’t have been fairer.
3 Expressions with prepositions
Use these prepositions in the sentences:
for over against with to
- It’ll be a fight__________ the bitter end.
- Hurry up! We’re in a fight __________ time.
- They had a fight __________ who should drive.
- He was in a fight __________ an older boy.
- The fight __________ the gold medal will be interesting!
4 Focus on word grammar
Match the two halves of these sentences:
- This new drug could be a major breakthrough in the fight
- As citizens we all have a part to play in the fight
- He believes he’s innocent and he’s continuing the fight
- Union president, Harry Muldon, is leading the fight
- The church has played a big part in the fight
a to clear his name.
b for the rights of the unborn child.
c to stop compulsory redundancies.
d against /VIS.
f against crime.
Note the patterns:
fight for/against + noun
fight to + verb
1. Note the expressions with ‘fight’:
A motorcyclist lost his fight for life after being critically injured in a collision with a bus.
Only one company can succeed. It will be a real fight to the death.
2. A fight can also be a physical struggle:
A fight broke out between rival groups of football fans.
Police were on the scene in minutes and broke up the fight before it escalated into a riot.
He put up a real fight when the police arrested him.
My son is always getting into fights.
3. Note how we say that something is going to be difficult:
You’ll have a fight on your hands to get your ideas past the board.
- put up 2. carry on 3. step up 4. is engaged in 5. give up 6. losing
- good 2. easy 3.tough 4. brave 5.fair
l.to 2. against 3. over 4. with 5.for
l-d 2-f 3-a 4-c 5-b (to be completed)
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!