Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: Freedom
- 1 Key Word: Freedom
- 1.1 Verb + Freedom
- 1.2 Common Adjective Collocations
- 1.3 Noun + Preposition + Freedom
- 1.4 Freedom + Of + Noun
- 1.5 Answer Key
- 1.6 Related Posts:
Key Word: Freedom
Verb + Freedom
Use the correct form of these verbs:
- We don’t believe in _________ our son’s freedom in any way. We think he should be allowed to do exactly what he wants to do.
- On the one hand, many young couples would love to have kids, but on the other hand, they don’t want to _________ their freedom.
- If teachers don’t _________ their students the freedom to express themselves, they will never learn to think for themselves.
- Freedom of speech is a freedom worth _________ . Why governments want to curb people’s freedom of speech is beyond me.
- I _________ my freedom above everything else. It’s far more important to me than money or success.
- There is little censorship in the UK so the newspapers _________ considerable freedom to publish what they want.
Common Adjective Collocations
Complete the sentences with these adjectives:
- We now take for granted that we can say what we think. It’s a _________ freedom in all modern societies.
- My parents gave me_________ freedom to do whatever I liked when I was a teenager.
- The new regulations will at last give hospitals and schools_________ freedom to decide how to spend their own money.
- Her two children have gone off to university and she says she’s enjoying her _________ freedom.
- We will not let this government take away the _____________ freedoms that our grandparents fought and died for.
- A lot of writers and painters feel they have to go abroad to find the kind of _________ freedom they need to express themselves fully.
Noun + Preposition + Freedom
Complete the sentences below with the following nouns:
- After 25 years in prison, it was his first __________ of freedom.
- Over the centuries, many refugees considered America to be a__________ of freedom and opportunity.
- I feel such a __________ of freedom when I leave the crowded city and climb alone in the hills.
- The aid workers were killed when they made a desperate __________ for freedom from their captors.
- The car is often seen as the of __________ personal freedom.
- It’s difficult to believe, but the __________ for freedom is still going on in many countries today.
Freedom + Of + Noun
Complete the sentences below with these nouns:
- Our students are allowed freedom of __________ over what to wear to school. There’s no official school uniform.
- This law will restrict the freedom of the __________ to publish details about people’s private lives.
- It’s a good idea to wear loose clothing to the yoga class. It gives you greater freedom of __________ .
- Freedom of __________ is guaranteed by our constitution. People can say what they think.
- The freedom of the __________ must always be balanced against the rights of the community. People can’t always do what they would like to do.
- In 2-1 ‘basic’ is also possible.
- As well as talking about the freedom ‘to do’ some-thing, we also talk about freedom ‘from’ something, for example, ‘freedom from oppression’.
- give up
- fighting for