Key word: freedom
1 Verb + freedom
Use the correct form of these verbs:
fight for give up
- We don’t believe in _________ our son’s freedom in any way. We think he should be allowed to do exactly what he wants to do.
- On the one hand, many young couples would love to have kids, but on the other hand, they don’t want to _________ their freedom.
- If teachers don’t _________ their students the freedom to express themselves, they will never learn to think for themselves.
- Freedom of speech is a freedom worth _________ . Why governments want to curb people’s freedom of speech is beyond me.
- I _________ my freedom above everything else. It’s far more important to me than money or success.
- There is little censorship in the UK so the newspapers _________ considerable freedom to publish what they want.
2 Common adjective collocations
Complete the sentences with these adjectives:
- We now take for granted that we can say what we think. It’s a _________ freedom in all modern societies.
- My parents gave me_________ freedom to do whatever I liked when I was a teenager.
- The new regulations will at last give hospitals and schools_________ freedom to decide how to spend their own money.
- Her two children have gone off to university and she says she’s enjoying her _________ freedom.
- We will not let this government take away the _____________ freedoms that our grandparents fought and died for.
- A lot of writers and painters feel they have to go abroad to find the kind of _________ freedom they need to express themselves fully.
3 Noun + preposition + freedom
Complete the sentences below with the following nouns:
bid land sense
struggle symbol taste
- After 25 years in prison, it was his first __________ of freedom.
- Over the centuries, many refugees considered America to be a__________ of freedom and opportunity.
- I feel such a __________ of freedom when I leave the crowded city and climb alone in the hills.
- The aid workers were killed when they made a desperate __________ for freedom from their captors.
- The car is often seen as the of __________ personal freedom.
- It’s difficult to believe, but the __________ for freedom is still going on in many countries today.
4 Freedom + of + noun
Complete the sentences below with these nouns:
choice individual movement
- Our students are allowed freedom of __________ over what to wear to school. There’s no official school uniform.
- This law will restrict the freedom of the __________ to publish details about people’s private lives.
- It’s a good idea to wear loose clothing to the yoga class. It gives you greater freedom of __________ .
- Freedom of __________ is guaranteed by our constitution. People can say what they think.
- The freedom of the __________ must always be balanced against the rights of the community. People can’t always do what they would like to do.
1. In 2-1 ‘basic’ is also possible.
2. As well as talking about the freedom ‘to do’ some-thing, we also talk about freedom ‘from’ something, for example, ‘freedom from oppression’.
1 restricting 2. give up 3. allow
4 fighting for 5.value 6. enjoy
- fundamental 2. complete 3. greater 4. new – found 5. hard-won 6. artistic
- taste 2. land 3. sense 4. bid 5. symbol 6. struggle
- choice 2. press 3. movement 4. speech 5. individual
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by IELTS Editor (see all)
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- Improve Your Vocabulary in IELTS Speaking & Writing – Key Word: Thing - April 1, 2018
- Boost Your Lexical Resource – Key Word: Rule - March 26, 2018