Key Word: image
1 Verb + image ( how other see us)
Use the correct form of these verbs:
change create improve
shed tarnish project
- Millions have been spent on advertising in an effort to _________ a sexy image for the new perfume from Chanel.
- Since winning the gold medal at the Olympic Games, his image has been _________ by accusations of drug use which he hotly denies.
- Many businesses hire public relations consultants to help them_________ their image in the market place.
- Getting a totally new hair-do is the way most women try to _________ their image.
- Eastbourne on the south coast of England is trying hard to _________ the dull image the public have of it and promote itself as an attractive seaside resort.
- Sometimes it’s difficult to find out what pop idols and filmstars are really like – all you ever see is the image they _________ on the screen.
2 Common adjective collocations
Use these adjectives to complete the sentences:
clean new right
public stereotyped staid and stuffy
- The police in the UK are often accused of having a _________ image of black people and other ethnic minorities.
- I changed my hairstyle and replaced my entire wardrobe in order to create a _________ and younger image.
- Like most politicians, the prime minister’s _________ image is very different from the person underneath.
- Museums are trying hard to shed their _________ image and become more interesting and attractive to young people.
- There is no doubt that recent events have damaged the ___________ image that the President has successfully cultivated over the years.
- Today all political parties have to project the _________ image if they are going to attract the female vote.
3 Verb + image (picture)
Use the correct form of these verbs:
appear blot out capture
conjure up produce project
- Some horrific images of war were_________ by TV crews filming on the battlefield.
- Slowly, a blurred image began to _________ on the screen. Man had landed on Mars.
- I’ve tried to_________ the image of my mother’s sad face, but it just keeps coming back to me.
- The Hubble telescope _________ sharper images of stars than those of any telescope on earth.
- For many people, the word ‘tropical’ _________ images of palm trees and deserted beaches.
- A giant image of Madonna was_________ onto a huge screen above the stage. Her fans went wild.
In 1-3 ‘promote’ is also possible.
In 1-5 ‘shake off’ is also possible.
2. This expression means ‘identical’:
William is the spitting image of his father.
3. Things can be ‘bad for your image’:
Daly’s advisers said it would be bad for his image to be photographed with the protesters.
4. Note the expression ‘fit (somebody’s) image of something’:
Wearing jeans and no tie, Mr Jones hardly fits most people’s image of a headmaster!
5. Note the expression ‘part of somebody’s image’:
I don’t need glasses – they’re just part of my image.
- create 2. tarnished 3. improve 4. change 5. shed 6. project
- stereotyped 2. new 3. public 4. staid and stuffy 5. clean 6. right
- captured 2. appear 3. blot out 4. produces 5. conjures up 6. projected
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!