Key word: improvement
1 Verb + improvement
Use the correct form of these verbs:
be bring about
- It’s about 30 years since I was in the British Museum. I’ve _____________a lot of improvements. It’s a much more exciting place now.
- Isn’t it great that John’s teachers said that his work has _____________ steady improvement throughout the year!
- I know a lot of improvements have been _____________ to our computer system since it was first installed. If anyone can think of any more, please don’t hesitate to let me know.
- Major spending is required to _____________ much- needed improvements in the health service.
- Could you read over my essay and _____________ any improvements before I hand it in?
- There has _____________ a gradual improvement in living standards over the past decade.
2 Common adjective expressions
Match the two halves to make sentences:
- If we want people to use their cars less,
- Despite the new sewage treatment plant,
- The last six months
- A few months after I stopped smoking
- If you follow this exercise programme for a month,
- Teachers’ salaries are going up by 20%
- Since Marco started going to evening classes
- I’m glad you’ve re-written this essay –
- Thanks to the doctors and nurses in the intensive- care department
a I saw a huge improvement in my health.
b so we can only afford minor improvements to school buildings.
c it’s a vast improvement on your first attempt.
d there has been a marked improvement in his English.
e we need substantial improvements in public transport.
f you’ll see an enormous improvement in your stamina.
g have seen a slight improvement in the economy.
h there’s been a remarkable improvement in bill’s condition.
i there has only been a marginal improvement in the quality of water on our beaches.
3 Large and small improvements
Use the nine adjectives in exercise 2 and the following to make a list of adjectives meaning ‘large’ and ‘small’, which can be used with improvement:
considerable massive modest minor
significant sharp radical real
- Small: ________________________________________________
- Large: ________________________________________________
4 Expressions with prepositions
Use these nouns to complete the sentences:
areas cost number
prospect signs room
- My teacher said my work was satisfactory, but there was still ___________ for improvement.
- The consultant’s report highlights several ___________ for improvement within the company.
- The economy is continuing to show ___________ of improvement.
- Sadly, the doctors say there is little ___________ of any improvement in my aunt’s condition.
- Due to unforeseen circumstances the ___________ of the improvements has risen by fifty per cent.
- The new car incorporates a ___________ of major improvements making it one of the safest to drive.
Look back at all the exercises in this unit and underline all the collocations.
1. Notice how we can use ‘improvement on’ to compare two performances:
Her time today in the 200 metres was a big improvement on her performance in the Olympics. The band’s performance tonight was a huge improvement on last night’s disaster.
2. Notice this common expression:
It will be some time before we see any improvement in Sheila’s condition.
1 noticed 2. shown 3. made 4. bring about
5 suggest 6. been
l-e 2-i 3-g 4-a 5-f 6-b 7-d 8-c 9-h
small improvement = marginal, minor, modest, slight
large improvement = considerable, enormous, huge, marked, massive, radical, real, remarkable, significant, sharp, substantial, vast
- room 2. areas 3. signs 4. prospect 5. cost 6. number
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!