Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score-Key Word:Improvement
- Use the correct form of these verbs :
- It’s about 30 years since I was in the British Museum. I’ve______a lot of improvements. It’s a much more exciting place now.
- Isn’t it great that John’s teachers said that his work has______steady improvement throughout the year!
- I know a lot of improvements have been______to our computer system since it was first installed. If anyone can think of any more, please don’t hesitate to let me know.
- Major spending is required to______much- needed improvements in the health service.
- Could you read over my essay and______any improvements before I hand it in?
- There has______a gradual improvement in living standards over the past decade.
Common Adjective Expressions
2. Match the two halves to make sentences :
|1. If we want people to use their cars less,||a. I saw a huge improvement in my health.|
|2. Despite the new sewage treatment plant,||b. so we can only afford minor improvements to school buildings.|
|3. The last six months||c. it’s a vast improvement on your first attempt.|
|4. A few months after I stopped smoking||d. there has been a marked improvement in his English.|
|5. If you follow this exercise program for a month,||e. we need substantial improvements public transport.|
|6. Teacher’s salaries are going up by 20%||f. you’ll see an enormous improvement in your stamina.|
|7. Since Marco started going to evening classes||g. have seen a slight improvement in the economy.|
|8. I’m glad you’ve re-written this essay-||h. there’s been a remarkable improvement in Bill’s condition.|
|9. Thanks to the doctors and nurses in the intensive-care department||i. there has only been a marginal improvement in the quality of water on our beaches.|
Large and Small Improvements
3. Use the nine adjectives in exercise 2 and the following to make a list of adjectives meaning ‘large’ and ‘small’, which can be used with improvement:
- Small : ________________________________________________
- Large : ________________________________________________
Expressions with Prepositions
4. Use these nouns to complete the sentences:
- My teacher said my work was satisfactory, but there was still______for improvement.
- The consultant’s report highlights several______for improvement within the company.
- The economy is continuing to show______of improvement.
- Sadly, the doctors say there is little______of any improvement in my aunt’s condition.
- Due to unforeseen circumstances the______of the improvements has risen by fifty per cent.
- The new car incorporates a______of major improvements making it one of the safest to drive.
Look back at all the exercises in this unit and underline all the collocations.
2. Notice this common expression:
Ex 1 :
- bring about
Ex 2 :
Ex 3 :
- small improvement = marginal, minor, modest, slight
- large improvement = considerable, enormous, huge, marked, massive, radical, real, remarkable, significant, sharp, substantial, vast
Ex 4 :
Also check :