Key word: instructions
1 Verb + instructions
Use the correct form of these verbs:
follow hold on to provide
understand read through repeat
- Always____________ the instructions on medicines very carefully before taking them.
- If you____________ the step-by-step instructions in this leaflet, you will have no trouble assembling this latest innovative product from IKEA.
- A comprehensive manual ____________ full instructions on how to set up this computer.
- Always____________ the instructions in case you have any problems in the future.
- I can be a bit slow, so you will probably have to ____________ the instructions a few times!
- If you don’t____________ my instructions, please let me know. We can’t afford to have any accidents.
2 Common adjective collocations
Match the two halves of these sentences:
- This model plane kit comes with step-by-step instructions for assembly,
- Detailed instructions are supplied with this product,
- I find unnecessarily complicated instructions very irritating –
- My grandfather left a set of specific instructions in
- The first aid handbook provides clear and concise instructions
a on what to do in an emergency.
b why can’t manufacturers write in plain English?
c which are easy to understand and follow.
d telling you clearly what to do at each stage of the process.
e his will, outlining who was to get what after his death.
3 Types of instructions
Complete the sentences below with these words:
cooking manufacturer’s assembly
payment safety washing
- In order to build this table, follow the ____________ instructions in this leaflet.
- To ensure that you get the best out of your new food processor, it is important to follow the ____________ instructions carefully.
- Before using these fireworks, read the ____________ instructions contained in the accompanying booklet.
- I think you’ll find the ____________ instructions are on a label inside the jersey.
- The____________ instructions say ‘bake the pie for 40 minutes at 200 C.
- To buy on-line using a credit card, click here and follow the____________ instructions.
1. Note that instruction can also mean ‘orders’:
She left strict instructions that she was not to be disturbed.
He is acting on direct instructions from the President.
The spy remained under cover and waited for further instructions from headquarters.
Following the riots, armed soldiers have instructions to shoot looters on sight
2. Note the following ways of saying you can’t understand instructions:
I’ve read the instructions, but I’m still none the wiser.
I can’t make head nor tail of these instructions.
3. Note how to say that you followed instructions very carefully:
I followed your instructions to the letter, but the video still won’t record.
4. ‘Instruction’ – singular – also means ‘training’:
I’m going for some special instruction on driving on snow and ice.
You are strongly advised to take a course of instruction before attempting to fly this hang-glider.
The skiing instruction on our holiday was excellent The instructor was brilliant!
5. Note how ‘according to’ is used:
According to the instructions, you put this here, not there.
- read through 2.follow 3. provides 4. hold on to 5. repeat 6. understand
l-c 2-d 3-b 4-e 5-a
- assembly 2. manufacturer’s 3. safety 4. washing 5. cooking 6. payment
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!