Key word: instructions
1 Verb + instructions
Use the correct form of these verbs:
follow hold on to provide
understand read through repeat
- Always____________ the instructions on medicines very carefully before taking them.
- If you____________ the step-by-step instructions in this leaflet, you will have no trouble assembling this latest innovative product from IKEA.
- A comprehensive manual ____________ full instructions on how to set up this computer.
- Always____________ the instructions in case you have any problems in the future.
- I can be a bit slow, so you will probably have to ____________ the instructions a few times!
- If you don’t____________ my instructions, please let me know. We can’t afford to have any accidents.
2 Common adjective collocations
Match the two halves of these sentences:
- This model plane kit comes with step-by-step instructions for assembly,
- Detailed instructions are supplied with this product,
- I find unnecessarily complicated instructions very irritating –
- My grandfather left a set of specific instructions in
- The first aid handbook provides clear and concise instructions
a on what to do in an emergency.
b why can’t manufacturers write in plain English?
c which are easy to understand and follow.
d telling you clearly what to do at each stage of the process.
e his will, outlining who was to get what after his death.
3 Types of instructions
Complete the sentences below with these words:
cooking manufacturer’s assembly
payment safety washing
- In order to build this table, follow the ____________ instructions in this leaflet.
- To ensure that you get the best out of your new food processor, it is important to follow the ____________ instructions carefully.
- Before using these fireworks, read the ____________ instructions contained in the accompanying booklet.
- I think you’ll find the ____________ instructions are on a label inside the jersey.
- The____________ instructions say ‘bake the pie for 40 minutes at 200 C.
- To buy on-line using a credit card, click here and follow the____________ instructions.
1. Note that instruction can also mean ‘orders’:
She left strict instructions that she was not to be disturbed.
He is acting on direct instructions from the President.
The spy remained under cover and waited for further instructions from headquarters.
Following the riots, armed soldiers have instructions to shoot looters on sight
2. Note the following ways of saying you can’t understand instructions:
I’ve read the instructions, but I’m still none the wiser.
I can’t make head nor tail of these instructions.
3. Note how to say that you followed instructions very carefully:
I followed your instructions to the letter, but the video still won’t record.
4. ‘Instruction’ – singular – also means ‘training’:
I’m going for some special instruction on driving on snow and ice.
You are strongly advised to take a course of instruction before attempting to fly this hang-glider.
The skiing instruction on our holiday was excellent The instructor was brilliant!
5. Note how ‘according to’ is used:
According to the instructions, you put this here, not there.
- read through 2.follow 3. provides 4. hold on to 5. repeat 6. understand
l-c 2-d 3-b 4-e 5-a
- assembly 2. manufacturer’s 3. safety 4. washing 5. cooking 6. payment