Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word:Interest
Common Adjective Collocations
- Complete the sentences with these adjectives :
- We looked at a number of brochures, but I could tell by her lack of enthusiasm that she had no______interest in going on holiday with me.
- We’re more than a little worried by our son’s______interest in guns and death.
- I have a wide range of interests but my______interest is bird-watching.
- When Jane and I first met, we discovered we had a number of______interests – classical music, modern painting, and skiing.
- No, my husband no longer collects stamps. It was only a______interest.
- During his visit, the Prince expressed a______interest in seeing how chocolate was produced.
2. Choose the Correct Verb in the following:
- Half-way through this morning’s grammar lesson, my interest began to sag. I began to______interest. I’d heard it all before. (lose/forget)
- Spielberg’s latest film has______a lot of interest. Everybody is talking about it. (shown/aroused)
- What kind of father is Edward? He doesn’t seem to______much interest in his children. He never takes them out anywhere. (show/hold)
- My wife and I______an interest in gardening. We spend most of our free time either working in the garden or visiting gardens. (hold/share)
- These days it takes a very good lecturer to______the students’ interest for an hour. (hold / take)
- Teachers who______a real interest in their students find that they get better results than teachers who just do their jobs and no more. (take/get)
Now match the two halves of these sentences :
|7. Unlike her brother,||a. which has aroused a great deal of public interest.|
|8.The use of child labour is an issue||b. to take an interest in the children’s friends?|
|9.Our youngest son, Jamie, is only 12,||c. kill most students’ interest in their subjects?|
|10.I think last night’s program on Channel 4||d. Beth has never expressed any interest in sport.|
|11. Do you think it’s right for parents||e. but he seems to be developing an interest in girls.|
|12. Why did so many teachers in the past||f. has created quite an interest in the new electric car.|
3. Complete the sentences below with these nouns:
- You certainly won’t be bored in Edinburgh. There are many______of interest to visit.
- My young children continue to fascinate me. They are a constant______of interest.
- The trip was cancelled due to______of interest. Only three tickets had been sold.
- Despite our best efforts to get our children interested in classical music, they didn’t show a single______of interest!
- The Pompidou Centre in Paris is a______of huge architectural interest.
- Just down the road from here is a______of great historical interest. It was where one of the biggest battles between England and Scotland took place.
2. ‘Outside interests’ are interests not connected to your job.
3. If something is ‘in the public interest’, it means it is for the good of the people:
4. Interests can also be advantages or benefits:
5. Note these two common adjective expressions:
Common Adjective Collocations
Also check :