Key Word: issue
1 Verb + issue
Use the correct form of these verbs:
- My mother has always voted for the Green Party. She __________ very deeply__________ environmental issues.
- Our head of department is always side-stepping difficult issues. His normal tactic is to __________ a lot of issues by saying they are not his responsibility.
- I know you would like to bring up the issue of salaries, but I’d prefer it if you __________ it at the next meeting.
- If we don’t__________ this issue fairly quickly, we’ll need to start paying people off.
- There was hardly anything in the Prime Minister’s reply. He never properly__________ the issue of unemployment in the North East.
2 Verb + noun + on the issue
Notice these two common patterns:
- verb noun on the issue
reach an agreement on the issue of (jobs)
- verb on the issue
clash on the issue of (jobs)
Match the two halves of these situations:
- I can’t see us reaching any sort of agreement.
- We can’t give an opinion until we have more information.
- The union will ballot the whole membership on the issue of job cuts.
- I’m glad agreement has been reached.
- The players and the management of the club are in disagreement.
- We know little of his views at present.
a It was time everyone overcame their differences on the issue.
b Opinion is so deeply divided on so many issues.
c They’ve clashed on the issue of pay and conditions.
d I think it’s important that everyone gets a chance to vote on the issue.
e For example, we don’t know where he stands on the issue of free care for the elderly.
f We’re just going to reserve judgement on this issue until the report is published.
3 Common adjective collocations
Complete the sentence with these adjectives:
complex emotive politically sensitive
- Using animals to test new drugs is a highly __________ issue. > Yes, it’s the kind of controversial issue that arouses a lot of strong feelings and opinions.
- It’s not a question of whether we need a new office or not – we all know the present accommodation is unsatisfactory. The __________ issue is whether we can afford it.
- For me euthanasia is a black and white issue. It’s wrong to take life and that’s that! > Well, I disagree. It’s a much more __________ issue than you think.
- None of the main political parties seems willing to talk about free health care for the elderly. I think it’s one of the most__________ issues facing us today.
- The fight against drugs is regarded as a __________ issue. We need to do something about this problem urgently if we are to prevent it getting out of control.
Use these adjectives in the sentences:
broad good growing sound wide
- The President declared that his country had a very__________ record on the issue of human rights.
- The talks between the two leaders covered a __________ range of issues.
- Don’t worry. The minister has a __________ grasp of the issues involved.
- The negotiators were in __________ agreement on the main issues.
- There is a __________ consensus of opinion on this issue.
In 1-2‘duck’ is also possible.
In 3-1 ‘controversial’ and ‘contentious’ are possible.
In 3-2 ‘key’ is also possible.
2. Note these expressions:
Money is not the issue. (not the main thing)
I must take issue with you. (object)
3. You ‘make an issue of’ something when you create an argument about something unimportant.
Ex 1: 1. cares, about 2. avoid 3. raised 4. resolve 5. addressed
Ex 2: l-b 2-f 3-d 4-a 5-c 6-e
1 emotive 2. real 3. complex 4. politically sensitive 5. pressing
6 good 7. wide 8. sound 9. broad 10. growing
Latest posts by IELTS Editor (see all)
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- Improve Your Vocabulary in IELTS Speaking & Writing – Key Word: Thing - April 1, 2018
- Boost Your Lexical Resource – Key Word: Rule - March 26, 2018
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!