Key word: item
1 Adjective + item
Complete the sentences with these adjectives:
bulky faulty essential important
main next missing valuable
- The police arrived soon after the break-in and asked us to do our best to make a list of all the__________ items.
- During the emergency, people stocked up on __________ items like food and candles.
- I think the __________ item on the agenda for this afternoon’s meeting is going to be the resignation of our secretary. I wonder why she’s leaving.
- Most modern hotels provide a safe in your room where you can keep __________ items. For a small charge they will keep more expensive items in the hotel safe at Reception.
- Please note that the most __________ items are listed in bold type in the booklet.
- Heavy and __________ items are expensive to transport by air. That’s why it’s cheaper using surface post.
- Now, let’s move on to the__________ item on the agenda.
- Our policy is to replace __________ items without question.
2 Expressions with nouns
Match the two halves of these sentences:
- Most people today see their PC just like a television set,
- All items for the agenda for our next meeting
- I remember when a fridge was considered a luxury item,
- Please note that this insurance policy doesn’t cover you for loss or damage
- Old clocks like this one have become collectors’ items
- Several items of clothing
a to household items such as towels and bedding.
b because they’re becoming increasingly rare.
c were found at the scene of the crime.
d a consumer item just like anything else in their home.
e but for most people today it’s a necessity.
f must be with me at least one week in advance.
Go back and underline the noun collocations.
3 Items as single things
Complete the sentences below with these words:
each individual ten
- Can I pay for__________ item separately?
- For many people their house is their largest __________ item of expenditure.
- That__________ item is not for sale, I’m afraid.
- __________ items of furniture have a price tag on them.
- This checkout is for customers with__________ items or less.
1. Note that item can refer to a report on TV:
The 9 o’clock news carried an item about an old age pensioner who’d starved to death.
The programme featured an item on one-parent families.
2. Note the following expression:
The management cannot accept liability for items stolen from your car while it is in the car park.
3. This is a common expression:
The customs official checked through the contents of my suitcase, item by item.
4. Note these common expressions using ‘of’:
A watch is the main item of jewellery worn by men.
A maximum of three items of clothing is allowed into the changing rooms.
The local museum has a number of items of great historical interest.
- missing 2. essential 3. main 4. valuable 5. important 6. bulky 7. next 8. faulty
l-d 2-f 3-e 4-a 5-b 6-c
- each 2. single 3. particular 4. Individual 5.ten
Latest posts by IELTS Editor (see all)
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- Improve Your Vocabulary in IELTS Speaking & Writing – Key Word: Thing - April 1, 2018
- Boost Your Lexical Resource – Key Word: Rule - March 26, 2018
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!