1 Verb + method
Use the correct form of these verbs:
adopt devise fail
recommend use work
- In no way am I going to _____________ any of these new teaching methods. I’ll stick to the tried and tested methods that I’ve always used.
- That method doesn’t look like it is going to _____________ . We’ll need to come up with an alternative method of doing it. Any suggestions?
- The methods of communication_____________ in the eighteenth century were primitive by today’s standards.
- Believe me, this method of growing tomatoes never _____________ . I get a bumper crop every year.
- In the I930’s scientists_____________ an efficient method of producing rubber from oil.
- We_____________ the filter method as the best way to make coffee.
2 Common adjective collocations
Complete the sentences with these adjectives:
- In the UK more and more people are unhappy with modern food production and are calling for a return to _____________ methods of farming.
- The author of this book claims to have discovered an_____________ method for making money. He says that it never fails.
- Frying used to be the most_____________ method of cooking before people became more health conscious.
- The pill is generally regarded as the most _____________ method of contraception.
practical unorthodox effective
- Despite his_____________ methods, his students achieved excellent exam results.
- The French are generally credited with developing the first _____________ method of producing photographs.
- Vaccination is the most_____________ method for preventing some of the worst childhood illnesses – like measles.
3 Method + of
Complete the sentences below with the following:
birth control crowd control
pain control payment
reaching agreement transport
- Travelling by plane is still one of the safest methods of _____________ .
- The methods of _____________ include lectures, seminars, and tutorials.
- Scientists are still struggling to devise a reliable method of predicting _____________ .
- The most commonly used method of _____________ involves the use of tear gas and mounted police.
- There are several possible methods of _____________ – credit card being the most popular.
- Thank goodness for modern methods of _____________ . I hate to think what it must have been like to be seriously ill a couple of hundred years ago.
- Condoms are an effective method of _____________ if used with care.
- Non-confrontational methods of _____________ are always the best.
1. Note the following expressions:
I have no quarrel with his methods. (They are OK.)
I think his methods stink. (I think they are awful.)
2. We use the expression ‘there’s method in his madness’ when we mean that although someone is doing something in a strange way, there is a good reason behind it.
I wonder why Malcolm is coming in an hour early every morning? It’s not like him.
> Ah, you obviously don’t know he’s applied for promotion. There’s method in his madness!
- adopt 2. work 3. used 4.fails 5. devised 6. recommend
1 traditional 2. infallible 3. popular 4. reliable
5 unorthodox 6. practical 7. effective
1 transport 2. teaching 3. earthquakes 4. crowd control
5 payment 6. pain control 7. birth control 8. reaching agreement
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!
Latest posts by IELTS Editor (see all)
- Improve Your Vocabulary in IELTS Speaking & Writing – Key Word: Thing - April 1, 2018
- Boost Your Lexical Resource – Key Word: Rule - March 26, 2018
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: promise - November 20, 2017