Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score-Key Word:Need
Limited-Time Offer : Access a FREE 10-Day IELTS Study Plan!
- Use the correct form of these verbs:
- The theft of the Rembrandt last weekend clearly______the need for better security measures at the Palace.
- The main advantage of credit cards is that they______the need to carry cash around.
- The director______the need for co-operation between workers and management if the company was to get out of its current difficulties.
- More nurseries will have to be built to______the need for high-quality child care.
- The government says that it______the need for immediate legislation to combat racism in the workplace.
- I know you’re getting out of hospital today, but you’re welcome to come back and talk any time – if ever you______the need.
Common Adjective Collocations
2. Complete the sentences below with the more natural adjective collocation:
- United Nations officials say that the most______need is for earth-moving equipment. (urgent/anxious)
- My father’s illness is long-term, so he’s in______need of treatment. (continual/constant)
- Student numbers are increasing year by year, so there’s a______need for cheap rented accommodation around the university. (growing/expanding)
- As winter approaches the refugees are in______need of warmth, food and shelter. (terrible/desperate)
- There’s a______need for more help for old people living at home on their own. (big/clear)
- When the second Gulf War ended, there was a______need for clean water, medical supplies and stable government. (pressurised/pressing)
Expressions with Prepositions
3. Use a suitable preposition in the sentences:
- Our organisation tries to help those most______need of psychiatric help.
- I’m going outside. I’m in need______some fresh air.
- There’s no need______all this shouting. Can’t we discuss this quietly?
- I think we’re all______need of a break.
4. Complete the sentences below with the following:
- My wife teaches children with______needs. Many of them have severe learning difficulties.
- A family in Eritrea doesn’t need much money to survive. About £10 a week is enough to cover all their______needs.
- The government is investing in training so that the country will be able to meet the______needs of industry.
- Without an increase in the number of nuclear power stations, I don’t see how our existing system is going to meet the______needs of this country in ten years’ time.
- Our fitness trainers put together a personal programme to suit your______needs.
- Good parents are sensitive both to the physical and______needs of their children.
1.A ‘crying’ need is very urgent:
2.Note this expression which means ‘if necessary’:
3.Note these common expressions:
4.Note this verb collocation:
Also check :