Using Collocation to Boost your IELTS Score-Key Word:Occasion
- Use the correct form of these verbs :
- Remember it’s a wedding that you’re going to. Make sure you______for the occasion. Have you got a dark suit?
- My husband is fifty next week. We’re having a big party to______the occasion.
- The Prime Minister opened a new school in London and he______the occasion to announce the government’s intention to spend more money on primary schools.
- They seem a very nice couple, don’t they? I’ll never______the occasion when they screamed and shouted at each other in public.
Common Adjective Collocations
2. Complete the sentences below with the following :
- As my parents’ golden wedding was an extra______occasion, we let off a lot of fireworks.
- OK! I’ll speak to him about his behaviour – but only if a______occasion arises.
- We listened to his speech and tried not to laugh – a funeral is meant to be a solemn and______occasion.
- Yes, I know Hans. We’ve met on two _________ occasions, once in Hamburg, the other time in London.
- I’m sure I’m speaking for everyone when I say that this has been both an enjoyable and a truly______occasion. It’s certainly one that I will never forget.
- The Millennium was a very______occasion. People were singing and dancing in the streets.
3. Complete the sentences below with these adjectives and determines :
- You usually beat Dave easily. How did he get the better of you on______occasion?
- My mother is now over 80 and can be very demanding. On______occasion, she called me in the middle of the night asking me to come round to her house to make her a cup of tea!
- Smith has been late now on______than one occasion. I think we’re going to have to speak to him.
- Jane and I talk about lots of things, but I just can’t remember what we were discussing on that______occasion.
- His work has been unsatisfactory now on a______of occasions. If it happens again, we’ll have no choice but to dismiss him.
- I don’t really smoke. I just have a cigar on the very______occasion.
4. Use these nouns to complete the expressions :
- The music, the flowers and the crowds gave the event a real feeling of importance. They gave the wedding a real______of occasion.
- I know she doesn’t really like party games, but she decided to join in and she seemed to enjoy herself. She certainly entered into the______of the occasion.
- His behaviour during the awards ceremony was rude and inappropriate. It was definitely not in______with the occasion.
- The room was full of men in grey suits, but the presence of the Prime Minister’s wife in a beautiful green silk dress added a much needed______to the occasion.
1. Note these expressions:
2. ‘On occasion’ means not often:
3. If something is ‘an occasion’, it means it is special in some way:
Ex 2 :
Ex 3 :
Ex 4 :
Also check :