Using Collocation to Boost your IELTS Score – Key Word : Occasion
Key Word : Occasion
1 Verb + occasion
Use the correct form of these verbs :
celebrate dress forget use
- Remember it’s a wedding that you’re going to. Make sure you _________ for the occasion. Have you got a dark suit?
- My husband is fifty next week. We’re having a big party to _________ the occasion.
- The Prime Minister opened a new school in London and he _________ the occasion to announce the government’s intention to spend more money on primary schools.
- They seem a very nice couple, don’t they? I’ll never_________ the occasion when they screamed and shouted at each other in public.
2 Common adjective collocations
Complete the sentences below with the following :
festive memorable previous
special serious suitable
- As my parents’ golden wedding was an extra- _________ occasion, we let off a lot of fireworks.
- OK! I’ll speak to him about his behaviour – but only if a _________ occasion arises.
- We listened to his speech and tried not to laugh – a funeral is meant to be a solemn and _________ occasion.
- Yes, I know Hans. We’ve met on two _________ occasions, once in Hamburg, the other time in London.
- I’m sure I’m speaking for everyone when I say that this has been both an enjoyable and a truly _________ occasion. It’s certainly one that I will never forget.
- The Millennium was a very _________ occasion. People were singing and dancing in the streets.
3 Common expressions
Complete the sentences below with these adjectives and determines :
more number odd
one particular this
- You usually beat Dave easily. How did he get the better of you on_________ occasion?
- My mother is now over 80 and can be very demanding. On_________ occasion, she called me in the middle of the night asking me to come round to her house to make her a cup of tea!
- Smith has been late now on_________ than one occasion. I think we’re going to have to speak to him.
- Jane and I talk about lots of things, but I just can’t remember what we were discussing on that _________ occasion.
- His work has been unsatisfactory now on a_________ of occasions. If it happens again, we’ll have no choice but to dismiss him.
- I don’t really smoke. I just have a cigar on the very _________ occasion.
4 Noun + preposition + occasion
Use these nouns to complete the expressions :
keeping sense sparkle spirit
- The music, the flowers and the crowds gave the event a real feeling of importance. They gave the wedding a real_________ of occasion.
- I know she doesn’t really like party games, but she decided to join in and she seemed to enjoy herself. She certainly entered into the _________ of the occasion.
- His behaviour during the awards ceremony was rude and inappropriate. It was definitely not in _________ with the occasion.
- The room was full of men in grey suits, but the presence of the Prime Minister’s wife in a beautiful green silk dress added a much needed _________ to the occasion.
1. Note these expressions:
The team must rise to the occasion and win the cup.
I’ve suggested that on numerous occasions.
If the occasion arises, I’ll ask for his autograph.
I went out and bought a new dress just for the occasion.
2. ‘On occasion’ means not often:
On occasion I have a cigar after a meal.
3. If something is ‘an occasion’, it means it is special in some way:
Everybody was there. It was quite an occasion.
Ex 1 : 1. dress 2. celebrate 3. used 4. forget
Ex 2 : 1. special 2. suitable 3. serious 4. previous 5. memorable 6. festive
Ex 3 : l. this 2. one 3. more 4. particular 5. number 6.odd
Ex 4 : 1. sense 2. spirit 3. keeping 4. sparkle
Also check :
- Best IELTS Vocabulary books
- Grammar for IELTS
- IELTS Vocabulary
- IELTS Listening Vocabulary
- Sports Vocabulary IELTS
- English Pronunciation in use Intermediate pdf
- Work Vocabulary IELTS
- Advanced Vocabulary for IELTS