Key Word: person
1 Determiners and quantifiers
Complete the sentences with these words:
each first last
one only single
- When my car broke down on the motorway, not a ___________ person stopped and offered to help me.
- My best friend is about the ___________ person that I can trust my secrets to.
- Allow about 200gms of rice for___________ person.
- Democratic systems are based on the principle of___________ person, one vote.
- The___________ person to give the correct answer wins the competition.
- I wouldn’t go out with Damien if he were the ___________ person on earth!
2 Common adjective collocations
Match the two halves of these situations:
- Federico’s a very private person.
- Tom strikes me as a very humble person.
- Bill’s a very insecure person.
- Angie seems to be a responsible person.
- Liz is the wrong person to talk to.
- Harry’s not a very organised person.
- Simon’s a lively, talkative person.
- Jo will be remembered as a caring, thoughtful person.
a I think we can rely on her to finish the job.
b You’ll enjoy his company.
c He always arrives late for meetings.
d He was always doing things for other people.
e She can’t keep a secret for more than a minute.
f He keeps himself to himself.
g He’s got a lot of hang-ups and low self-esteem.
h He never talks about his achievements.
Now use these adjectives in the sentences below:
average difficult guilty poor
reasonable right stupid easy
- After a difficult few months, there seems to be general agreement that Melanie is the ___________ person for the job.
- It is a fact that the ___________ person in the street is much better-off today than they were twenty years ago.
- The new finance director is not an ___________ person to deal with, is she? No, I’m finding her fairly___________, too.
- The police are sifting through the evidence in an effort to find the___________ person.
- What___________ person left the oven on all night! We could all have burnt to death!
- What a state the room was in at the end of the party. I pity the ___________ person who had to clean the mess up.
- Any ___________, right-minded person can see that this decision is not fair.
3 Kinds of person
Match up these people with the definitions:
- a morning person
- a displaced person
- a missing person
- an outdoor person
- a people person
a somebody who has disappeared
b somebody who gets on well with almost anybody
c someone who is at their best before lunch
d somebody who likes walking, climbing etc.
e somebody who has been forced to leave their own country and has not found asylum in another country
1. Note this useful way of talking about someone:
He’s the type of person who always offers to help.
2. Note these expressions:
It gave me a big thrill to meet Sting in person after the concert.
Can I speak to the person in charge, please?
Police think they have found the person responsible for the attack.
Reactions to the treatment vary from person to person.
Rooms cost from £20 per person.
Customs officers found drugs concealed about his person.
3. This is a common question:
What’s Linda like as a person?
Ex 1: 1. single 2. only 3. each 4. one 5. first 6. last
1 -f 2-h 3-g 4-a 5-e 6-c 7-b 8-d
9 right 10 average 11 easy, difficult 12. guilty
13 stupid 14. poor 15. reasonable
l-c 2-e 3-a 4-d 5-b
Latest posts by IELTS Editor (see all)
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- Improve Your Vocabulary in IELTS Speaking & Writing – Key Word: Thing - April 1, 2018
- Boost Your Lexical Resource – Key Word: Rule - March 26, 2018
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!