Key word: process
1 Verb + process
Use the correct form of these verbs:
begin develop repeat
reverse speed up streamline
- For perfect boiled rice, wash and rinse the rice with cold water, then ___________ the process until the liquid is clear.
- The company have___________ a new process for producing microchips more cheaply.
- Going to the passport office in person ___________ the process of renewing my visa. Instead of taking three weeks I had a new visa within two days.
- Unfortunately, ageing is one process that we cannot ___________ !
- If we don’t___________ our production process, we are going to end up inefficient and uncompetitive.
- When the sperm enters the egg, it___________ the process of fertilisation and the creation of a new life.
2 Common adjective collocations
Use the following adjectives in these sentences:
painful lengthy delicate
- My friend Dave was badly burned in the accident. The doctors say that recovery from these injuries will be a long and___________ process.
- Removing a piece of dirt from somebody’s eye is a very___________ process. It needs to be done very carefully to avoid damaging the eye.
- It was a___________ process recovering from my operation. It really took the best part of 2 years!
natural gradual complicated
- I thought buying a house would be easy and straightforward but it turned out to be a long and ___________ process. I’ve lost count of the number of forms I’ve had to complete and sign.
- I didn’t just wake up one day and decide to become a Buddhist. My conversion was a very ___________ process which took place over a number of years.
- Learning our mother tongue is a ___________ process. It just happens! Many of us wish it could be the same when learning a second language later in life!
3 Types of process
Complete the sentences with these words:
decision-making healing democratic
manufacturing peace selection
- Our yoghurt is tested several times during the ___________ process to ensure that it is of the highest quality.
- When choosing a holiday, I think it is best if all the family are involved in the___________ process.
- You will be asked to perform a number of tasks during the___________ process. These activities are designed to test your drive and initiative.
- This latest bombing incident has de-railed the ___________ process. The representatives of both governments have gone home.
- Many sick people believe that positive thinking can accelerate the __________ process. Some people claim that it can even cure cancer.
- The attack on the polling station was widely denounced as an attack on the ___________ process itself.
1. Note the following common expressions:
Taking responsibility for yourself is an important part of the process of growing up.
Making mistakes is an essential part of the learning process.
2. You reject other solutions if you make a decision ‘by a process of elimination’:
We decided that the culprit had to be Ted – by a careful process of elimination.
3. Note this useful expression:
The hospital is in the process of modernisation.
We are in the process of moving to new premises.
Ex 1: 1. repeat 2. developed 3. speeded up 4. reverse 5. streamline 6. begins
Ex 2: 1. painful 2. delicate 3. lengthy 4. complicated 5. gradual 6. natural
Ex 3: 1.manufacturing 2. decision-making 3. selection 4. peace 5. healing 6. democratic
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!