Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: Process
Key word: process
1 Verb + process
Use the correct form of these verbs:
begin develop repeat
reverse speed up streamline
- For perfect boiled rice, wash and rinse the rice with cold water, then ___________ the process until the liquid is clear.
- The company have___________ a new process for producing microchips more cheaply.
- Going to the passport office in person ___________ the process of renewing my visa. Instead of taking three weeks I had a new visa within two days.
- Unfortunately, ageing is one process that we cannot ___________ !
- If we don’t___________ our production process, we are going to end up inefficient and uncompetitive.
- When the sperm enters the egg, it___________ the process of fertilisation and the creation of a new life.
2 Common adjective collocations
Use the following adjectives in these sentences:
painful lengthy delicate
- My friend Dave was badly burned in the accident. The doctors say that recovery from these injuries will be a long and___________ process.
- Removing a piece of dirt from somebody’s eye is a very___________ process. It needs to be done very carefully to avoid damaging the eye.
- It was a___________ process recovering from my operation. It really took the best part of 2 years!
natural gradual complicated
- I thought buying a house would be easy and straightforward but it turned out to be a long and ___________ process. I’ve lost count of the number of forms I’ve had to complete and sign.
- I didn’t just wake up one day and decide to become a Buddhist. My conversion was a very ___________ process which took place over a number of years.
- Learning our mother tongue is a ___________ process. It just happens! Many of us wish it could be the same when learning a second language later in life!
3 Types of process
Complete the sentences with these words:
decision-making healing democratic
manufacturing peace selection
- Our yoghurt is tested several times during the ___________ process to ensure that it is of the highest quality.
- When choosing a holiday, I think it is best if all the family are involved in the___________ process.
- You will be asked to perform a number of tasks during the___________ process. These activities are designed to test your drive and initiative.
- This latest bombing incident has de-railed the ___________ process. The representatives of both governments have gone home.
- Many sick people believe that positive thinking can accelerate the __________ process. Some people claim that it can even cure cancer.
- The attack on the polling station was widely denounced as an attack on the ___________ process itself.
1. Note the following common expressions:
Taking responsibility for yourself is an important part of the process of growing up.
Making mistakes is an essential part of the learning process.
2. You reject other solutions if you make a decision ‘by a process of elimination’:
We decided that the culprit had to be Ted – by a careful process of elimination.
3. Note this useful expression:
The hospital is in the process of modernisation.
We are in the process of moving to new premises.
Ex 1: 1. repeat 2. developed 3. speeded up 4. reverse 5. streamline 6. begins
Ex 2: 1. painful 2. delicate 3. lengthy 4. complicated 5. gradual 6. natural
Ex 3: 1.manufacturing 2. decision-making 3. selection 4. peace 5. healing 6. democratic
Also check :
- IELTS Vocabulary
- Best IELTS Vocabulary books
- Grammar for IELTS
- IELTS Listening words
- Sports Vocabulary IELTS
- English Pronunciation in use Intermediate pdf
- Work Vocabulary IELTS