Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: reaction
Key Word: reaction
1 Verb collocations
Use the correct form of these verbs:
affect give predict get
be require vary watch
- I always loved to __________ the reactions of my children when they opened their Christmas presents.
- Driving after drinking even a small amount of alcohol is difficult as it __________ your reactions.
- It is often difficult to _____________ people’s reactions to a new idea in advance.
- What sort of reaction did you__________ when you told them you were the new inspector?
- The President ________________ his reaction to the crisis in a carefully-worded press statement.
- Table tennis is a sport that ________________ very fast reactions.
- I understand there’s________________ no reaction to my letter.
- People’s reaction to the film________________ a lot. Some loved it, while others simply hated it.
2 Common adjective collocations
Use these adjectives in the sentences:
angry delayed favourable immediate
violent instinctive mixed natural
- The proposal has received a generally ______________ reaction. Most people seem to accept the need for change.
- There has been a very________________ reaction to the plans to cut benefits to single mothers.
- When I heard the news of my friend’s death, my_____________ reaction was one of utter shock.
- There has been a_____________ reaction to the new timetable. Some people like it, but others don’t.
- Don’t worry. Everyone feels lonely when they first leave home. It’s a perfectly_____________ reaction.
- I fainted twenty minutes after leaving the doctor’s surgery. I suffered a _____________ reaction to the injection the doctor had given me.
- When things go wrong the_____________ reaction of most people is to look for somebody to blame.
- As soon as he took the medicine, he had a _____________ reaction to it, and died within hours. It was tragic.
3 Types of reaction
Match up the meanings with these different types of reaction:
- an allergic reaction
- a chain reaction
- a gut reaction
- a knee-jerk reaction
- a subconscious reaction
a one event which sets off lots of linked reactions
b a reaction in yourself which you are not aware of
c an instinctive reaction
d a negative medical reaction eg a rash
e an immediate and automatic reaction
Now use the collocations in 1-5 in these sentences:
- Whenever there is a report of some particularly brutal attack on children or old people, there is the usual _____________reaction, demanding the return of the death penalty.
- I don’t know what your reaction to all this malicious gossip is, but my_____________ reaction is to ignore it completely and hope it will go away.
- Drinking milk can cause an _____________ reaction such as a running nose or coughing in children, while eating peanuts can trigger a very violent and even fatal reaction.
- There is a danger that this local dispute could set off a_____________ reaction that would endanger the whole of the world.
- I am sure that all these headaches I’ve been having are just a_____________ reaction to all the stress I’ve been under recently.
1. In 2-3 ‘first’ and ‘initial’ are also possible.
2. Note the following:
You can imagine my reaction when I met my mother for the first time in 30 years.
A relief fund was set up in reaction to the disaster in order to help the victims and their families.
3. A ‘chemical reaction’ is a natural process that takes place between chemicals:
The energy is generated by a chemical reaction between hydrogen and oxygen.
Ex 1: 1. watch 2. affects 3. predict 4.get 5.gave 6. requires 7. been 8. varied
1 favourable 2. angry 3. immediate / instinctive
4 mixed 5. natural 6. delayed 7. instinctive 8. violent
l-d 2-a 3-e 4-c 5-b
6 knee-jerk 7. gut 8. allergic 9. chain 10. subconscious
Also check :