Key word: response
1 Common adjective collocations
- Boost Your Lexical Resource – Key Word: Rule
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: promise
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: Belief
- Boost Your IELTS Score with Collocations – Key Word: report
- Using Collocation to Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: circumstances
Use the following adjectives in these sentences:
disappointing enthusiastic initial
mixed positive satisfactory
- The response to the proposal, in the main, has been very _____________. Everyone I’ve spoken to is in favour.
- There was an_____________ response to my suggestion that we go camping for the weekend. Everybody’s really excited about the idea.
- When I heard what he said about me, my_____________ response was one of anger.
- If I don’t receive a_____________ response from you, I will be forced to put this matter into the hands of my solicitor.
- The council’s decision to subsidise public transport has met with a _____________ response. Those who use the buses think it is a great idea, but most car owners are against it.
- The response to our appeal for help has been rather _____________. Very few people have come forward.
Match up the following adjective collocations with the meaning opposite:
a quiet an immediate response
b fast a lukewarm response
c not enthusiastic a favourable response
d good a muted response
2 In response to ………
Complete the sentences with these words:
appeal complaints criticism pressure
- The school has changed some of its teaching methods in response to ____________ in the latest report by government inspectors.
- Millions of people gave freely in response to the ____________ for the victims of the famine in East Africa.
- In response to ____________ about the number of minor accidents in its factory, the company has decided to review its safety procedures.
- Management have reduced the working week to 38 hours in response to____________ from the unions.
Go back and underline these noun collocations.
3 Expressions with prepositions
Match up the halves of these sentences:
- The school is delighted with
- The marketing people are disappointed with
- I was totally unprepared for
- Have you had any response yet to
- What’s the response been like from
a the people you work with?
b the response to its appeal to raise £10,000.
c your letter of resignation?
d his response. He actually hit me!
e the poor response to their TV adverts.
1. Note the verbs that we use to describe getting a response:
Plans to reduce the workforce have produced an angry response from union leaders.
The speech provoked an angry response from teachers and community leaders.
The proposed shopping centre met with an angry response from local residents.
2. Notice these examples of an initial / immediate response:
When anything goes wrong, his immediate response is to blame other people. I wish he would stop and think before opening his mouth!
What do you think the initial response will be to this announcement?
3. If you make no response to somebody, you ignore them or say nothing.
4. Note this formal expression in business letters:
I am writing in response to your letter of May 12th.
- positive 2. enthusiastic 3. initial 4. satisfactory 5. mixed 6. disappointing
a a muted response
b an immediate response
c a lukewarm response
d a favourable response
Ex 2: 1. criticism 2. appeal 3. complaints 4. pressure
Ex 3: l-b 2-e 3-d 4-c 5-a
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!