1 Verb + right
Use the correct form of these verbs:
campaign for give know
stand up for have abuse
- Just because you’re older than me it doesn’t ____________ you the right to tell me what to do!
- Don’t let them push you around. You’ve got to ____________ your rights.
- You can’t arrest me without charging me. I____________ my rights.
- Reports suggest that human rights are being systematically ____________ in their prisons.
- Martin Luther King ____________ civil rights for black people in the US in the I960’s.
- Everyone____________ the right to freedom of speech.
Now match the two halves of these sentences:
- The police officer told the prisoner that he had the right
- The management of this club reserve the right
- We must respect the rights of independent states
- Our company has been granted the exclusive rights
- When the Prince married a divorced woman, he gave up his right
a to become king.
b to govern themselves.
c to distribute Heinle books in India.
d to refuse entrance to anyone under the influence of alcohol.
e to remain silent.
2 Common expressions
Match these halves:
- I have a lot of respect for
- I don’t know
- You can’t walk along this path.
- I don’t agree with some of the tactics of
- You have no right
a to treat anyone like that!
b It’s not a right of way.
c the animal rights people.
d the civil rights movement.
e the rights and wrongs of the situation.
3 Common adjective collocations
Use the following adjectives in these sentences:
automatic basic equal
every legal human
- In a democratic society free speech is a ____________ right.
- Why should people who are found guilty have the____________ right of appeal? I just don’t understand!
- How can the government claim to support ____________ rights when there are so few women in important positions in the party?
- I would check with a lawyer first, if you’re unsure of your____________ rights.
- After the way you’ve been treated, you have ____________ right to complain.
- Food, shelter, education, clothing, health care are all basic ____________ rights.
4 Noun + preposition + rights
Use the prepositions in the sentences below:
on within to for (x2) of
- The new government affirmed its commitment ____________ equal rights.
- Should we intervene in the internal affairs of countries where there are serious abuses ____________ human rights?
- For many years Germaine Greer has been an indefatigable campaigner____________ women’s rights.
- There is a lot of competition between airlines ____________ the right to fly between London and New York.
- The President vigorously defended his country’s record____________ human rights.
- I think if you refuse to pay the bill, you are acting well ____________ your rights. After all, the TV doesn’t work!
1. Note the following:
The house belongs to me by right. I inherited it from my grandfather.
2. Note how we say someone’s behaviour is wrong:
You have no right to park in front of my house!
- give 2. stand up for 3. know 4. abused 5. campaigned for 6. has
7-e 8-d 9-b 10-c 11-a
Ex 2: l-d 2-e 3-b 4-c 5-a
Ex 3: 1. basic 2. automatic 3. equal 4. legal 5. every 6. human
Ex 4: l. to 2. of 3.for 4.for 5. on 6. within
Also check :