Key Word: situation
1 Verb + situation
Use the correct form of these verbs:
comment on depend on handle
review misunderstand improve
- John’s calm approach prevented a nasty argument from developing during the meeting. You have to admire the way he ___________ the situation.
- It would be unwise to ___________ the situation in Kashmir without knowing all the facts.
- Would you come to my aid if somebody attacked me? => Well, it would ___________ the situation.
- I thought the man you were with was your husband. I didn’t realise he was your brother. I’m so sorry. I totally ___________ the situation.
- The refugees have no fresh water or sanitation. There’s little anyone can do to___________ the situation.
- Before we throw any more money at the problem, I think we should___________ the situation and see what worked and what didn’t.
2 Common adjective collocations
Complete the sentences with these adjectives:
current desperate delicate ideal
impossible Catch-22 volatile difficult
- We’re trying to buy a house, but everywhere is too expensive for us. We’re in an ___________ situation.
- You’ll need to handle this very sensitively. It’s a very___________ situation.
- We can’t allow the___________ situation to go on any longer. We need a change.
- The news report from the Sudan showed the ___________ situation people are in. They have no food, very little water and no medical supplies.
- I think she coped admirably with a very ___________ situation. It was a real ‘can of worms’.
- I can’t get the job because I don’t have the right experience and I can’t get the experience until I get a job. It’s a___________ situation.
- The house we want to buy is in an ___________ situation with wonderful views of the mountains.
- The political situation is very___________ – the army could start a coup at any time.
3 Situation + verb
Use the correct form of these verbs:
arise calls for continue
return turn deteriorate
- The situation___________ prompt action. We must do something quickly.
- Let’s get out of here. The situation could ___________ nasty at any moment.
- The situation is___________ day by day. Soon, there will be no food, water or medical supplies left.
- This situation can’t___________ . I simply won’t allow it to go on any longer.
- Three days after the riots the situation has___________ to normal.
- I don’t have the time to think about it now. I’ll worry about it when the situation ___________ .
4 Noun + of + situation
Complete the sentences with these nouns:
advantage facts handling
misunderstanding gravity side
- I don’t think you fully realise the ____________ of the situation. We could all lose our jobs.
- Our school has been closed for repairs, so we are taking full ____________ of the situation and going on a short holiday.
- I’m glad you can see the funny____________ of the situation. Not many people would.
- It’s important that we don’t let our prejudices blind us to the____________ of the situation.
- Her ____________ of the situation was masterly. She dealt with the problem very professionally.
- His inappropriate reaction was obviously based on a complete ____________ of the situation.
1. Note the following expressions:
I’m in a no-win situation. Whatever I do will be bad.
2. Note this question:
What would you have done in my situation?
3. We talk about the economic / political / social situation.
Ex 1: 1. handled 2. comment on 3. depend on 4. misunderstood 5. improve 6. review
1 impossible 2. delicate 3. current 4. desperate
5 difficult 6. Catch-22 7.ideal 8. volatile
Ex 3: 1. calls for 2. turn 3. deteriorating 4. continue 5. returned 6. arises
Ex 4: 1. gravity 2. advantage 3. side 4. facts 5. handling 6. misunderstanding
Latest posts by (see all)
- IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics 2019 (Sep 2019 – April 2020) & Sample Answers - August 20, 2019
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio - May 4, 2019
- Cambridge IELTS Series (1 – 14) for Academic and General Training Modules - April 22, 2019
- All Useful IELTS Writing Lessons & Websites - February 27, 2019
- 101 IELTS Reading Past Papers With Answers - January 23, 2019
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 & 3 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) with Model Answers - December 25, 2018
- Cambridge Practice Tests for IELTS Series (1 – 14) Student’s Book with Answers with Audio [Latest Update] - December 21, 2018
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topics (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - December 20, 2018
- HIGH SCORING IELTS SPEAKING MODEL ANSWERS WITH AUDIO (BASED ON PAST PAPERS) - October 25, 2018
- IELTS Speaking Actual Tests (Sep – Dec 2019) & Suggested Answers - September 22, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Part 2 Topics in 2019 & Sample Answers - September 11, 2017
- IELTS Writing Task 2 Questions (2013 – 2018) & Model Answers - July 19, 2017
- IELTS Magazine – Week 1 (PDF) - May 20, 2017
- Useful IELTS Reading Websites & Resources for both Academic & General Training Module - April 28, 2017
- IELTS Writing Recent Actual Tests in 2018 & Band 8.0+ Sample Answers (Updating) - February 26, 2017
- IELTS Speaking Lessons - February 21, 2017
- Advanced Vocabulary List for IELTS - January 24, 2017
- 42 Topics for IELTS Speaking Part 1 and Suggested Answers (PDF) - April 14, 2016
- IELTS Target Band 7: How to Maximize Your Score (Ebook) - March 29, 2016
- Ace the IELTS: IELTS General Module – How to Maximize Your Score (3rd edition) - October 10, 2015
- IELTS Part 2 Sample: Describe a time you spent a lot of money on something - September 20, 2019
- Band 8 Sample for IELTS Speaking Part 1 Topic: Photographs - September 20, 2019
- New IELTS Speaking Part 1 with Band 9 Model Answer – Topic: Rubbish/ Garbage - September 13, 2019
Main IELTS Pages:
This website is to develop your IELTS skills with tips, model answers, lessons, free books, and more. Each section (Listening, Speaking, Writing, Reading) has a complete collection of lessons to help you improve your IELTS skills.
Subscribe for free IELTS lessons/Books/Tips/Sample Answers/Advice from our IELTS experts. We help millions of IELTS learners maximize their IELTS scores!