Key Word: thought
1 Verb + thought
Use the correct form of these verbs:
have gather go out to
hear occur spare
- Have you given the new proposal any thought yet? Were keen to _____________ your thoughts.
- The President was taken aback by the question and took a minute to _____________ his thoughts.
- _____________ a thought for all those who are homeless on a cold night like this.
- I’ve just _____________ a thought! Why not have a party?
- Our thoughts_____________ all those families who lost relatives in the disaster.
- The thought just _____________ to me that it’s mum’s birthday tomorrow and we haven’t got her a card.
2 The thought of …
Use these words to complete the sentences:
injection eating meat dying
meeting examination going home
- The very thought of my final _____________ fills me with dread!
- As a vegetarian, just the thought of _____________ makes me feel sick.
- We all became very excited at the thought of _____________ .
- I was shocked at the thought of all those people _____________.
- I was trembling with fear at the thought of the _____________.
- She shuddered at the thought of _____________ the man who had attacked her.
3 Noun + preposition + thought
Use the following expressions in the sentences:
great deal of thought
freedom of thought
school of thought
train of thought
- Sorry, where was I? I’ve lost my ________________ .
- Some places still don’t encourage ________________ .
- Shirley doesn’t devote a ________________ to her appearance.
- One ________________ contends that modern man originated in Central Africa.
4 Common adjective collocations
Use these adjectives in the sentences:
comforting morbid negative
original second secret
- As soon as I got onto the plane, I began to have ________________ thoughts about leaving. Was I doing the right thing?
- If you want to win, think positively. Try not to ________________ thoughts take over.
- Many people use a diary to record their ________________ thoughts.
- As I waited for the results of the tests, my mind was filled with _______________ thoughts of death.
- It’s a_______________ thought that we’ll be sleeping in our own beds this time tomorrow night.
- He doesn’t have an _______________ thought in his head. He just steals other people’s.
1. If you thought something was unimportant, you say:
I didn’t give it a moment’s thought
2. Note these expressions with thought + verb:
The thought occurred to me that he might…
The thought suddenly struck me that…
That thought had never crossed my mind.
3. To ask someone’s opinion, you can say:
What are your thoughts on the matter, Alan?
Any thoughts on what we should do?
4. If you don’t want to lose something or somebody:
I couldn’t bear the thought of losing my dog.
5. Thought is also used to mean ‘caring’:
He’s always in my thoughts.
Ex 1: 1. hear 2. gather 3. Spare 4. had 5.go out to 6. occurred
Ex 2: 1. examination 2. eating meat 3. going home 4. dying 5. injection 6. meeting
- train of thought
- freedom of thought
- great deal of thought
- school of thought
Ex 4: 1. second 2. negative 3. secret 4. morbid 5. comforting 6. original