Using Collocation To Boost Your IELTS Score – Key Word: Time
1 Verb + time
Use the correct form of these verbs:
afford kill make
save spend take
- It can ____________ quite a long time to get used to living in a different country.
- People who ____________ too much time together usually end up getting on each other’s nerves.
- It’ll take you about half an hour to walk to the station. Get a taxi. Think of the time you’ll____________ !
- I arrived two hours early for my interview, so I ____________ some time in the National Gallery and then I looked around a bookshop.
- You keep saying you don’t have enough time. That’s not good enough! You’ve simply got to ____________ time!
- I’d love to come out with you tonight, but I can’t ____________ the time. I have a report to finish for the morning.
2 Common adjective collocations
Use these adjectives in the sentences:
- We had a____________ time at Sarah’s party. Everybody really enjoyed themselves.
- She quit her job so that she could spend more ____________ time with her children.
- I enjoy gardening in my ____________ time. As soon as I go into the garden, I forget all about work.
- I’m sorry, I seem to have called at a bad time. When would be a____________ time to call back?
- She’s having a ____________ time at work. =>Yes, there’s talk of redundancies. And I think her boss has been giving her a difficult time.
- She claims that she didn’t have enough time to prepare for the interview, but like all other candidates we feel she had____________ time.
- Make sure you’re at the station in ____________ time. The train won’t wait for you! It leaves at 9, so the rest of us are going to be there at 8.45.
- Hurry up! You’re wasting ____________ time! We only have a few hours left!
3 Noun + of + time
Use these nouns in the sentences:
amount course length
matter space waste
- These meetings are a complete __________ of time. Nothing is ever decided!
- Children seem to spend an inordinate __________ of time watching TV – up to ten hours a day!
- This new strain of flu is out of control. It’s only a__________ of time before it arrives here.
- Standing on one leg for any __________ of time is quite difficult for most people.
- His injuries are severe but they will heal in the __________ of time. He just needs to be patient.
- Within a very short __________ of time he had lost his title. He was champion for under a month.
4 Expressions of time
Use the following expressions in the sentences:
the whole time the first time next time
my usual time a specific time some time
- She kept on talking __________ ! She didn’t stop for a minute.
- The body had been in the water for __________ which made it difficult to determine the exact time of death.
- I met my girlfriend’s parents for __________ last week.
- Could we arrange __________ to discuss this problem? How about 10 tomorrow?
- I’d try a different approach __________ . You might be more successful.
- Although I was on holiday I still got up at __________ .
1. If you arrive ‘in the nick of time’, you arrive just in time.
2. Note these expressions:
There’s no hurry. We’ve got all the time in the world.
Time is running out to save the survivors.
Time’s up! Stop writing. (said in an examination)
You took your time! I’ve been waiting here for hours!
Ex 1: l. take 2.spend 3. save 4. killed / spent 5. make 6. afford
1 smashing 2. quality 3. spare 4. convenient
5 rough 6. ample 7. good 8. precious
1. waste 2. amount 3. matter 4. length 5. course 6. space
1 the whole time 2. some time 3. the first time
4 a specific time 5. next time 6. my usual time
Also check :